Sam Smith’s “Gloria”: New Sound, Self-Love, & Queer Joy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

On Friday, January 27, 2023, Sam Smith released their fourth studio album, Gloria. The album is a smashing celebration of self-love, queer joy, and growth— all of which can be radical in a world filled with LGBTQ+ hate. Gloria marks a new era for Smith, filled with a mix of familiar, stripped-back ballads and fun, disco pop anthems.

Smith celebrated the album’s release, writing: “It feels like I’ve been working my whole life for this album release, a chance to showcase to you my artistry and all that inspires me to do what I do. The force, however that inspires me more than anything in this world, is you. Humans are the greatest source of inspiration for all artists, I believe. I watch you, my friends, my family and myself; I write stories that I hope will help you and be your friend in your loneliest hours but also your happiest hours, too.”

Disco pop anthems

In September 2022, Smith teased a new sound with the single “Unholy” (featuring Kim Petras). The smash hit became the first song by openly non-binary and trans artists to reach No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100. In Gloria, Smith further explores a new era of disco synth-pop with smooth, irresistible vocals in standout tracks like “Lose You” and “I’m Not Here To Make Friends.”

“I’m Not Here To Make Friends” is my favorite song on the album: loud, bold, and assertive. The song kicks off with an audio sample of RuPaul (“If you don’t love yourself, how in the hell you gonna love somebody else?”) and launches into a groovy, upbeat synth track. The sound feels reminiscent of “Vogue” by Madonna (1990).

The celebration of “I’m Not Here To Make Friends” continues with Smith’s new music video for the track. While criticized by some for being inappropriate and overly sexual, it’s clear some people just can’t handle a non-binary person looking hot and confident in a corset. You can learn more about the controversy here.

the Interludes

The album features two interludes with various audio clips. “Hurting Interlude” is an excerpt from a news anchor covering New York’s first Pride celebration in the 1970s. It describes the isolation and loneliness that being non-heteronormative can bring. (“Having to lie, I feel, is the saddest and the ugliest part of being a homosexual / When you have your first bad love experience, for instance / And you can’t go to your brother or your sister and say, “I’m hurting.”)

“Dorothy’s Interlude” compiles important moments for the LGBTQ+ community into eight seconds. It contains a snippet of drag queen Divine in the film Pink Flamingos (1972), Judy Garland singing “Over The Rainbow,” and trans activist Sylvia Rivera’s speech at a 1973 gay liberation rally. Both interludes provide important insight into Smith’s experience as a growing artist and person.

Mental health & Liberation

Throughout the album, I appreciate Smith’s openness about mental health and inner struggles. The album kicks off with “Love Me More,” where Smith tells listeners: “Everyday I’m trying not to hate myself / But lately it’s not hurting like it did before / Maybe I am learning how to love me more.” Smith comments on the slow process of self-acceptance while also acknowledging how far they’ve come: “I try every night to sit with sorrow / And eventually it set me free.”

“Perfect” feat. Jessie Reyez is a slow-burn that continues a similar theme of self-love. At the song’s peak, electric guitar builds as Smith proclaims, “I’m not perfect, but I’m worth it.” While not my favorite track on the album, I appreciate “Perfect” for the positive self-affirmations it brings.

The titular track “Gloria” encourages listeners to accept themselves and not be defeated by inner thoughts and anxieties. Speaking about the title, Smith stated, “Gloria isn’t the name of a person, but the fighting spirit within me. I am letting it loose. The album is about spiritual, emotional and sexual liberation.”

Conclusion

As the Internet continues to fight about the controversial music video for “I’m Not Here To Make Friends,” I hope new fans discover Smith’s music, like I did. It’s not a perfect album, and there are a few songs I don’t see myself replaying. However, I admire Smith’s willingness to change up their sound— and the upbeat, disco-inspired anthems suit their voice so well. Overall, Gloria succeeds in many ways: as a celebration of love and joy, and a reminder that you are not alone in your struggles.

Check out “Gloria” on Spotify!
Chloé Hummel is the President and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UConn. Chloé enjoys writing articles that help advance the goals of intersectional feminism. She also works as a marketing assistant for Globe Pequot Press in Essex, CT. In her spare time, Chloé enjoys yoga, pilates, and reading fantasy books. She is a passionate vegan, a 70s music enthusiast, and a poor piano player.