4 Romance Books By Black Authors That I Read During Black History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

As an avid romance reader and February being Black History Month, I decided I would dedicate this month to solely reading romance books written by Black authors. If you’ve been wanting to get into reading but don’t know where to start, continue reading while I share with you some of my favorite books written by incredibly gifted Black female authors.

The MIxtape by brittany c. cherry

The first book I read this month, which was a reread for me because it truly is such an incredible book, was The Mixtape by Brittany C. Cherry. This book follows Oliver, a rockstar grieving not only his twin brother but his bandmate. Oliver meets Emory, a single mother struggling to raise her daughter on her own while keeping her head above water while she helps him escape upset fans and the paparazzi. This was such an emotional read and I highly recommend it; it was so hard for me to put this down.

Landon & shay duet by brittany c. cherry

Since I loved The Mixtape so much, I decided to read the Landon and Shay duet also written by Brittany C. Cherry. The first book of this duet starts with Landon and Shay back in high school. They make a bet with one another to see who can fall in love with the other first. This bet makes the book very entertaining. I won’t spoil it, but we see them develop a friendship and later on a relationship throughout the book. Sadly, they have a falling out towards the end of the book making the second book of this duet take place a few years after high school. In this second book, we see them reconcile their friendship, and again later, their relationship. I have to say, this duet made my top 10 of this year so far. I enjoyed it immensely, and recommend reading this if you love books with two or more parts. 

hoops series by kennedy ryan

This month I decided I would read the Hoops series written by Kennedy Ryan. In this series, there are three books, Long Shot, Block Shot, and Hook Shot. All three books follow three different couples, all of whom are connected to one another in some way. The Hoops series starts with Long Shot which follows August, a professional basketball player, and Iris, who have known each other since college. I highly recommend checking the trigger warnings in this book as it does contain domestic violence and other possible triggers. The next book, Block Shot, follows Jared, August’s stepbrother who is also his sports agent, and another sports agent, Banner, who have known each other since their law school days. Hook Shot is the last book in this series; it follows a single dad, Kenan Ross, who’s also a professional basketball player and August’s teammate, and Lotus, Iris’s cousin. All the books in this series can be read as a standalone, but personally, I think what makes them better is reading them one after the other to get the full effect. 

Billionaire dads series by nia arthurs

I decided to finish this month off by reading the Billionaire Dads series by Nia Arthurs and let me tell you, I loved every single book in this series — and as someone who religiously reads series, it’s so hard to find one where I enjoy all the books. This series follows seven different couples, all connected to one another or end up being connected to one another by the end of their book. In this series, there’s Surly Romance, Cocky Romance, Cheeky Romance, Prickly Romance, Fiery Romance, and my personal favorite, Bossy Romance. All the men in this series are single dads who are all very successful: hence the name. This series is definitely the one I always recommend — it’s incredible. It’s not recommended to read them in order, but I strongly encourage you to since certain scenes in each of these books will make more sense when you know all the characters and their relationships with one another. 

This has been by far one of the best reading months I’ve had in a while, all the books listed above were rated four stars and above on my Goodreads. I truly enjoyed everything I read this month and hope you do too. I can’t wait to read more novels written by these amazing Black authors.

Krystal is a sophomore at the University of Connecticut studying journalism on the pre-law track. She's from Naugatuck, CT. In her free time she loves to read, binge tv-shows/movies, and hangout with friends. As well as volunteering weekly as an Alpha Phi Omega service fraternity member.