Style > Beauty

Reviewing 7 e.l.f. Cosmetics Products So You Don’t Have To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Makeup is essential for many people and for many reasons. It may improve confidence, or it may be a relaxing part of a person’s morning routine. Whatever the reason, many people love makeup. However, it can get pretty expensive. High-end products can be pricey and it adds up quickly when going shopping. Luckily, there are some inexpensive brands, such as e.l.f. Cosmetics. Their products are pretty popular for multiple reasons: they’re more affordable, and for the most part, they work pretty well. I’m an avid fan of their products in both makeup and skincare, so I have many of them. I’ve been using them for a while, so here’s my review of some of their popular products.

Power grip primer

Starting off strong, there’s the Power Grip Primer. There are two variations of this, one with 4% niacinamide and one without. I use the one without, and I firmly believe this is a great primer. It’s a great base that makes my makeup last all day while still looking just as radiant as it did in the morning. I love it because it’s also affordable. Priced at just $10, it’s a great alternative to other hot primers on the market that tend to be more expensive. If you want your makeup to glow, I highly suggest adding this to your routine.

Halo Glow Beauty Wands (Highlight, contour, and blush)

Next, there are the Halo Glow Beauty Wands. There’s a highlight, contour, and blush variation, and I have all three. Though they’re all similar products, I have differing opinions on each of them. The blush, while perfectly pigmented, is hard to blend and can look splotchy if not properly blended. It definitely took trial and error to find a good brush to use in order to properly blend the blush. Once blended, however, it looks really nice and lasts all day. Second, there’s the highlighter. I have no complaints about this one: it blends smoothly and makes my skin glow. Finally, there’s the contour. This also blends easily and looks nice, however, it can be too pigmented when used too much. It’s definitely important to control the amount of contour you use. Aside from those minor critiques, I overall recommend these three products if you’re looking for an affordable way to add to your makeup routine.

Clear Brow and lash mascara

The Clear Brow and Lash Mascara is a very useful tool. As the name suggests, it comes with both brow and lash formulas. I use the brow side of this tool more frequently. While I have tried the lash mascara, I find that it isn’t useful for me since I apply black mascara anyway. When I tried it, the mascara did not lift my lashes in the same way my regular mascara does. The brow formula, on the other hand, works well for me. It keeps my brows in place all day, though I have noticed some flaking at times. Aside from that, I would recommend this product to anyone trying to shape their brows.

Hydrating Camo concealer

The Hydrating Camo Concealer is one of my everyday staples because it’s got good coverage. I only use concealer on the dark circles underneath my eyes, but I find that this conceals them pretty well. My only critique is that it can get cakey by the end of the day, which isn’t a desirable look. However, this can be fixed with a setting powder, which I don’t currently own. I can’t place the entire blame on the concealer, so I still give it a good rating.

Holy hydration! eye cream

Transitioning from makeup to skincare, there’s the Holy Hydration! Eye Cream. At a price of $10, it seems very appealing. However, after two months of use, I can say that this product is not worth it. I haven’t noticed a difference since I started using it: for example, my eyes still have dark spots. If you have dark spots like me, I find that this cream doesn’t alleviate them. It may work for you, but for me, this is not a product I would purchase again.

Holy hydration! makeup melting cleansing balm

The Makeup Melting Cleansing Balm is fantastic. It’s a thick, oily substance that is applied with the included spatula. A little goes a long way, and it does a great job of removing all my makeup. I find that it isn’t as effective for removing mascara, but it definitely works well for removing any other kind of makeup. Even though I have oily skin, I find that the balm doesn’t make me break out, so I highly recommend it.

keep your balance toner

Finally, I will be reviewing the Keep Your Balance Toner. I wanted to love this, but I found that it made me break out a lot more than usual. I eventually had to stop using it altogether, and once I did, I found that my skin began to clear up and revert back to its original state. For that reason, I don’t recommend this product, especially if you have oily skin like me: it causes too much acne in such a short time frame.

Final Thoughts

Overall, while some products are fantastic, others miss the mark. However, this is common with any makeup line. Everyone has a different tolerance for certain products, so while I did give my honest review, remember that what did not work for me may work for you. Being open-minded is important when trying out new products, no matter the brand. If you can, definitely give some of e.l.f.’s products a try. You’ll be surprised!

Alexa Malerba is a chapter member at Her Campus at UConn. She enjoys writing about theatre, music, and beauty. Beyond Her Campus, Alexa works part-time as a sales associate at Bob's Stores while in her hometown. She is also a student blogger for BroadwayWorld, a national theatre news website. She is currently a freshman at the University of Connecticut with an undecided major. In her free time, Alexa enjoys sleeping, listening to music, and spending time with friends. She also has a passion for traveling, with her favorite destinations being Disney World and Wildwood, NJ.