This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Have you ever had family or friends come to visit, but you had no idea where to take them around Storrs to get lunch or dinner? Yeah, me too. After trying a bunch of different restaurants near UConn, here are some of my top picks for an easy, satisfying meal, with the longest drive being about 20 minutes. 

1. Chuck’s Steak House and Margarita Grill

Starting strong, we have Chuck’s Margarita Grill. About 13 minutes from campus, Chuck’s is a delicious Mexican spot that’s perfect for a night out with the girls. Their food is always delicious and you can order just about anything and expect a huge plate of food. Their margaritas are top tier and my favorite meal is probably the chicken fajitas. It’s a fun atmosphere and a good vibe, I’ve been so many times and I keep going back! 

2. Chang’s Garden 

Located right by Starbucks in Storrs Center, another favorite is Chang’s Garden. If you’re looking for some good Chinese food with great portions, Chang’s is a great place to try. Plus, it’s a walkable distance from campus. I recently got takeout for the first time from them a few weeks ago, and I will absolutely be going again in the near future! 

3. Stix ‘n’ Stones 

Another very easy drive right off campus is Stix ‘n’ Stones. I’ve been here a couple of times for breakfast, and they never disappoint. They recently revamped the spot into a whole sit-down restaurant, now serving lunch and dinner as well as brunch/breakfast. They have tons of breakfast options, salads, smoothies, sandwiches, pasta, and more. They also have some mouth-watering bakery items! This is a great place to come if you want a big menu with plenty of options for everyone. 

4. Bidwell Tavern 

Located in Coventry, the next restaurant on the list is Bidwell Tavern. Serving award-winning wings, amazing burgers, and lots of shareable appetizers, this pub-style restaurant is an awesome choice to hang out with a big group and watch a game. It’s a great vibe for delicious food and a fun atmosphere, they even have live music! 

5. Willimantic Brewing Company 

This is another awesome choice for a great lunch with a great atmosphere. Fun fact: this restaurant is located in a 1909 Post Office building! Their menu is gigantic, and there is absolutely something for everyone. When I went I got a chicken caesar wrap, it was a year and a half ago and I still think about it. It’s another great atmosphere to go and watch a game, sit at the bar, and of course, eat a delicious meal! 

6. Asian Bistro

Asian Bistro is a great spot if you’re looking for Hibachi or sushi near campus. They have great sushi lunch specials and the hibachi is a fun thing to do with friends! This is a really fun option, and I have enjoyed it the two times I have been! 

7. Square Peg 

Although I have not tried Square Peg yet, I felt it was necessary to include it. It’s been the talk of the town recently, and everyone I know who has tried it has loved it! Every time I walk or drive by, it is always packed and it’s a perfect location right in Storrs Center. I’m definitely looking forward to trying it soon! 

Hopefully, this list gives you some inspiration for food ideas when you’re needing a break from cooking or the dining hall, or you have visitors in town. All of these spots are primarily close to campus and most importantly, delicious!

Rachel is a Junior at UConn majoring in Communications with a minor in Human Development. She is currently serving as Marketing and Merchandise Coordinator for UConn's Her Campus chapter! Rachel has a strong passion for writing about anything from music, food, fashion, sports, or just relatable content. In the future, Rachel hopes to have a career in Digital Marketing, Public Relations, and/or Advertising In her free time, Rachel loves to spend time with friends, try new restaurants, and attend UConn basketball games!