Culture > News

Reaction to Trump Ending Birthright Citizenship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

A week before the U.S. midterm elections, Donald Trump had proposed to unilaterally end birthright citizenship for the children of non-U.S. citizens and unauthorized immigrants.

What sparked the most intense media reaction was the iconic quote: “We’re the only country in the world where a person comes in and has a baby, and the baby is essentially a citizen of the United States for 85 years, with all of those benefits.”

Let’s put aside the fact that Canada, Mexico and most countries in the Latin American region also recognize the same citizenship rights. Most of the attention was given to Trump’s declaration that he can end birthright citizenship with an executive order, namely the tip of a pen, hoping to put a stop to the 14th Amendment that is twice as old as he is.

Taking into account the timeliness of his act, it seems like Trump isn’t simply subjecting himself to public ridiculing with an emotions-based argument, but also striving for media attention before the elections take place.

Upon interviewing students from the University of Connecticut, it becomes clear Trump’s decision is not supported by the college community. Here are some of their responses:

Mr. Tan: “I don’t think he (Trump) can do it without the rest of the government, but I’m not sure about the rules. I think he’s just doing this because every now and then he has to stoke the flames of his supporters who hate immigrants and anything to do with them. That’s just classic populism.”

Mr. Allen: “I’m really not surprised. His attitude towards immigrants has been crystal clear ever since he entered public life, especially during the presidential election period. This is just a step taken further than building a wall between the U.S. and Mexico but with the exact same purpose of blocking immigrants. You know, he likes stirring up the pot he himself created. That’s what got him to where he is today.”

As for Ms. Lin, her reaction remains short yet on point: “He’s canceling the right? I’m canceling him!”

Inside Stephanie's 5'2 body, there is a burning love for writing, photography and basketball. When she isn't doing any of those, she often ensconces herself in deep but random contemplation - the meaning of life - that feeds her own ego and keeps her energetic throughout the day. Her favorite movie is 'The Shawshank Redemption'; she hopes to become bold like Andy Dufresne one day and drive alone from Texas to Mexico in a convertible - once she obtains her driver's license.