Talavera de la Reina, Spain
Talavera de la Reina, Spain
Original photo by Maria Perdomo Barrios (2019)
Life > Academics

Rating UConn Buildings for Studying

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

When I first moved onto campus last fall, leaving my room and exploring felt terrifying. I tried looking up what the best places to study on campus were but always ended up seeing the same two answers: the library and the Student Union. So, I decided to make a beginner’s guide on some of the best places on campus to hang out, study, and explore.

My ratings will be determined by:

1. Proximity to the center of campus
  2. Possible dining options nearby
  3. Crowd and noise level
  4. Number of places to study
  5. Homeyness

Babbidge Library — 7/10

I will start with the most basic place on campus, the Homer Babbidge Library. Located right in the center of campus, it has ample space to study. The neat thing about the library is that there is a different section for your preference of noise level. Whether you are with your friends and plan on pretending to do work, or you have three midterms and a paper to write, the library has it all. In addition, Bookworms, a UC Cafe, is just downstairs. I will say that the library does reach peak crowd right around lunchtime. If you are hoping to find a place to sit, you might have to look around for a while before settling down.

Student Union — 5/10

Also located on the center of campus, the Union is yet another basic place to find a seat and get some work done. It has the perk of having quite a number of food options including Market Cafe, Subway, Dunkin, and many more. But if you are looking for a quiet and peaceful spot to work, you will not find one here. There are a sufficient amount of seating options, but not comparable to the library by any means. Similar to the library, by the time lunch rolls around, it’s beyond packed and uncomfortably crowded. I would recommend going on the weekend and if you don’t mind a little noise while you study.

Wilbur Cross — 8/10

Wilbur Cross holds a very special place in my heart. With it being only a quick walk from the Union and having CrossRoads Cafe inside, it’s a comfortable spot to be in. I would definitely say that this is more of a quiet study and whispers area, rather than a socializing area. The reading room is probably one of my favorite rooms. It helps to romanticize studying and your life while still being at college. There are a few other areas to study including near CrossRoads and right in the center of the building. If you are looking for a cozy and warm spot to go to, I would recommend Wilbur Cross.

FinE arts complex — 6/10

The Fine Arts Complex is a place that I feel like no one ever goes to for several reasons. One, it is pretty far from the center of campus and is basically located downtown. Second, I don’t think anyone knows that there are a few tables in there to study and get some work done. I will say the one downfall of the Fine Arts Complex, is that there aren’t many dining options unless you count all of the downtown restaurants. Overall, it isn’t too crowded, and it’s a good place to get some quiet work done.

ITE — 6/10

The Information Technology Engineering Building is one that I never see anyone talk about. Although it isn’t my favorite place to be, it has a number of places to sit and study. It definitely isn’t homey at all, but it’s quiet for the most part, and for STEM majors, there are whiteboards and places for discussion. Since it’s super close to the library and the Union, there are various dining options.

Biology physics building — 8/10

This last one is a building I discovered rather recently. As a girly who isn’t a STEM major, the only reason I went into the Biology Physics Building was actually for a Her Campus meeting! Since I am yet to go there during the day, I am not sure I am qualified to speak on the crowd that is normally present. But I will say, there are various places to sit and study, and Up & Atom Cafe is in the same building. If you are looking for a cute homey place to study, I would say, go explore this building.

Concluding thoughts

Out of all the buildings on campus, I only picked a few to rate. My biggest piece of advice in finding a place to study and hang out on campus is to go exploring. Everyone will have a different place they call their own, and once you look around campus more, I am sure you will find it!

Pranathi Natarajan is a junior at the University of Connecticut. As a Human Rights and Political Science double major, when she isn't reading, she is dancing, drinking coffee, and spending time with her friends and family.