“Rachel Says”: Bring Out Your Wild Side with Animal Print

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Leopard, and Zebra, and Tiger, oh my! Animal prints are making their comeback, but head to toe leopard is no “fashion do.” It is very easy to get carried away with these fun, flirty prints, so let’s all remember our fashion basics: less is more. My tips for how to wear your faux furs and wild prints will guide you in your fashion endeavors. Don’t be afraid of the animal, embrace them!  

The Basics: Dressing in neutrals and adding a pop of pattern is the most common and appropriate way to spice up your look. Jeans, black, white, and grays become the “basic” canvas for your ensemble. Have a favorite accessory, bag, or shoe? Pair it with your easy and simple look. But only choose one item from your accessory closet as your attention grabber.  

Color and Print Blocking: Another fabulous combo, adding some print to the color in your wardrobe. Don’t be afraid to pair a colored piece of clothing with an animal print top, blazer, or pant. Draw attention to yourself, and make a statement with big bold pieces of print and color. The most common look is to pair a colored jean, a popular trend now, with a animal print t, blazer, or jacket.  

Color and Pattern: Style is what you do with your wardrobe, so don’t be afraid to add colors, textures, and patterns to your outfit. Like with neutrals, adding a “pop” of animal print to a brightly colored outfit is a fashion do! Pinks, royal blue, yellows, greens, and red all look stunning paired with a small animal print accessory. A shoe, belt, or piece of jewelry is a great add-on for when you’re wearing bright colors.

Don’t over think your outfit. Less is more, simple is better, and when it doubt, stick to the basics. Take baby steps; start off with a fun leopard shoe or bag, bangle or scarf, and work your way up to peplum tops and zebra stripe pants and skirts. So, have some fun with these beautiful prints and don’t be afraid to show your wild side!

Photos via Polyvore.com, made by Rachel Govoni

Rachel is a Senior at the University of Connecticut, studying Communications. Her dream and goal is to move to New York City and work in the Fashion Industry. Her one love next to fashion and styling is her horse, Jesse. Follow her on twitter @fashion1oh1 for fashion do's and dont's. Pinterest http://pinterest.com/rachgovoni/