books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

I know, procrastination has a bad rep. And yes, it probably deserves it. However, every once in awhile, a girl needs a break from her eighteen papers and oh yeah, the three exams next week. You could always go onto Facebook or Twitter and probably observe the same three people commenting on everyone’s photos and writing statuses about their oh so dull lives, but I have a couple of better ideas.

1.     Go for a walk! Studies show that any sort of physical activity, even just walking around the hall a couple of times, is linked to the ability to retain information and improve overall concentrate. In fact, it’s healthier even if you just get up and do a couple jumping jacks every 15-20 minutes.

2.     Make a snack! I don’t know about you, but I always end up eating a lot more when under academic stress, and this usually isn’t great for my overall health. So what I like to do is take a break from my work in order to take 5-10 minutes to just make a nice snack. Fruit, nuts, whatever! If you’re feeling risky, try making your own trail mix. You could follow directions online, like this, or just kind make up your own. Let your creative and flavorful side rule!

3.     Dance, or do some sort of cardio intensive workout. This one is definitely the most fun in my opinion, and probably one of the easiest. Pick a song and well, dance. The more ridiculous the dance moves, the better. Singing (or some variation of that) is also highly encouraged. This is a chance to really let loose, even if it’s only for about 3 minutes or so.

4.     Meditation. This is an awesome way to procrastinate wherever you are. Meditation is great because you can make it as complex and complicated as you want, or you can just take 5, 10 minutes and chill. It also helps relax the mind and really help you focus. In this case, meditation will actually aid you in studying. It also has been proven to relieve stress and increase positivity. Some links I would suggest for meditation tips are below!

a.     Learning Meditation is a site that features over 15 different types of guided meditations.

b.      Another site I highly recommend is a meditation site that features free mediation podcasts you can listen to/download.

c.      YouTube. It’s a great resource for videos and music, and this definitely extends to some awesome mediation videos. Try them out and decide what you prefer! 

Caitlin is a Communication major with minors in Sociology and Women's Studies at the University of Connecticut. She has always loved to write, but she caught the advertising bug at UConn and now dreams of creating ads that people will always remember. When she's not studying mass media or reading advertising blogs, Caitlin loves making collages, riding horses, and surprising people!