UConn Basketball Game
UConn Basketball Game
Original photo by Mairead Gillespie

Who Will Win The NCAA D1 Women’s Volleyball Championship?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

We are less than a month away from selection night, in which we will start determining the bracket that will make up the NCAA D1 Women’s Volleyball Championship. In a season that has seen some amazing upsets, such as Iowa State v. Texas, it is hard to predict which team will walk away as national champions this year. I am writing this as of mid-November so there are plenty of games left to play. Still, I am going to tell you which teams I think are the most likely to walk away with the national championship. 

(6) Nebraska Cornhuskers

You can’t talk about college volleyball without talking about the five-time national champions, the Nebraska CornHuskers, led by head coach John Cook. Though they are currently ranked number 6, they have some really outstanding players. Among them is last year’s first team All-American and Big Ten 2021 defensive player of the year, Lexi Rodriguez. Though she’s only a sophomore, Lexi Rodriguez has been absolutely incredible this season. Not only does she average 4.15 digs and 1.13 assists per set, but she’s a natural leader. Other noteworthy players include senior captain Madi Kubik, sophomore outside hitter Ally Batenhorst and all-time assist leader for the Nebraska Volleyball program, Nicklin Hames. I am confident that this group is capable of getting all the way to the national championship. 

(1) Texas Longhorns

Onto the 2012 National Champions, the Texas Longhorns. With the departure of star outside hitter Skylar Fields and senior middle blocker Brionne Butler, it wasn’t 100% where the program would head this year. However, they got an absolutely incredible group of transfers for the 2022 season. Among them is former UCLA libero Zoe Fleck, former Missouri and Nebraska middle blocker Kayla Caffey, 2020 National Champion Madi Skinner, and more. As mentioned this team has been upset by Iowa State this year but they are incredibly strong. Led by senior outside hitter Logan Eggleston, the Longhorns are averaging 14.6 kills and 1.6 aces per set. Strong on both the offensive and the defensive side, they are certainly an incredibly strong contender for national champions this year. 

(2) Louisville cardinal

Ever since their defeat of then #2 Texas all the way back in 2019, the Louisville Cardinals have improved drastically over the course of the years. With a nearly perfect season last year, only to come up short in the national semifinals, the Cardinals are looking to get back to top shape. With an incredible offense thanks to Phekran Kong and Claire Chaussee, managed by graduate setter Raquel Lazaro, this team has a lot of potential. Not to mention that they are capable of some great comebacks as seen in one of their recent games against Georgia Tech.

(5) Ohio state buckeyes

Yet another Big Ten team is making its way into the top four. The Ohio State Buckeyes are led by 6’3 outside hitter Gabby Gonzales. She has been absolutely incredible this season averaging 3.398 kills and 0.446 aces per set. In the regular season, the Buckeyes have taken down #3 Louisville, #5 Georgia Tech, #10 Minnesota, and #15 Penn State. Having great players is obviously an advantage but playing together to take down ranked teams time after time is really outstanding.

2022 Champions?

Keep in mind that this year’s tournament can really go in many different directions. However, I think that the Nebraska Corn Huskers will take the trophy this year. Fueled by the loss to an incredible Wisconsin team at last year’s final, I think Nebraska will be the winner of this year’s tournament. With a month away from the major finals, we’ll see how teams play when we get to the postseason.

Maria Perdomo Barrios is an undergraduate sophomore at the University of Connecticut. She is a political science major on the pre-law track. Maria was born in Bogota, Colombia, but has lived in the U.S. since she was nine years old. She enjoys spending time with her friends and family as well as reading and traveling.