Culture > Digital

Podcasts You Should Already Be Listening To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Here at Her Campus UConn we don’t gatekeep. Today I am ranking my top five podcasts hosted by strong, influential women that I listen to every week, and you should too. For the past couple of years I have been curating my perfect podcast rotation, and these ladies made the cut. The topics range from dating, to career advice, to mental health awareness, and more. These days it seems like any old influencer hosts a podcast, so it can be difficult to sort through all of the content and find the personalities you click with, especially when the only ones featured on your For You Page are of men speaking nonsense. So if you want to get into the podcast game these are my Her Campus UConn-approved recs for female-focused pods.  

1. making moves

Making Moves with TK is a podcast that centers around entrepreneurship in the influencer space, entertainment, and lifestyle. She asks her guests what they are doing to “make moves” in their lives and career, but TK is also full of first-hand advice from her move to LA from the midwest, and being a business-savvy influencer. She varies her format from week to week — sometimes episodes feature guests, and others are solo advice episodes. My personal favorites are the episodes with entrepreneurs rather than entertainers, as that is where listeners can gain a lot of practical and inspiring career advice. If you want to be inspired to make moves, then listen in to TK every Tuesday.

2. I love you so much

You might already be familiar with YouTuber Elizabeth Kenzie, but she is also the host of the Dear Media-produced podcast entitled I Love You So Much, aka ILYSM. Kenzie covers mental health, career advice, and helps her listeners navigate their twenties. Her episodes are only an hour long, so they are great to listen to while working out or driving. Her episodes tend to have a positive twist to uplift listeners, and she is absolutely amazing with guests. I am always excited to know what she has to say every week, and I like that her episodes consistently have a point of view rather than feeling like an audio vlog. So tune in to Kenzie every Thursday for her unfiltered opinions.

3. We met at acme

We Met At Acme is another Dear Media podcast that talks about all things dating, and I’ve found that it is one of the most talked about pods amongst women. Lindsey Metselaar delves deep into the dos and don’ts of the dating world, asking all the uncomfortable questions, and at times takes an analytic approach to go beyond her own opinions. This is a newer listen for me, and I am excited to add it to my rotation. She is a solo host and is great at getting into the nitty gritty with her guests. We Met At Acme is a cutthroat and honest conversation about relationships that drops every Sunday.

4. gals on the go

Brooke and Danielle are not only best friends, but also co-hosts on this feel-good pod that comes out every Wednesday. They have a solid format that consists of their “favorite of the week,” “rec of the week,” and daily updates in their exciting lives. Their show focuses on lifestyle, advice, and occasional guests. This podcast is perfect for your hot girl walks, and I can guarantee you will be influenced by these inspiring women. They are based in NYC, and are all about romanticizing your life. The gals not only make you laugh, but they also dig deep into sensitive topics and are truly like older sisters. While not number one on this list, the gals are my personal favorite listen every week.

5. Miss congeniality

Lastly, we have Miss Congeniality with Eli Rallo, which is a newer addition to my rotation. I tried her pod out when it first launched, but was not impressed. However, her podcasting skills have improved tremendously over the past year, and I recommend giving her a listen. Her niche tends to be female empowerment, and you may already be familiar with her personality from her viral TikTok account @thejarr, where she is famous for her notes app lists. Eli takes a stab at long-form content with her podcast, and as an aspiring author, it seems to be a great addition to her TikTok presence. I look forward to seeing how she continues to grow as a podcaster and writer, as she is very open in her journey with both her celebrity and career.

This is by far not an exhaustive list, but I hope that it will serve as a jumping-off point in your podcast exploration, and I guarantee that you will be hooked to at least one of these shows. With that being said, welcome to the podcast game, and I hope you fall down the rabbit hole of long-form audio content.

Audrey is a sophomore marketing major and french minor at the university of Connecticut