The Perks of The Pole

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

The Perks of the Pole

We all know that exercising is a necessary activity if you want to stay in shape. However, exercise can also be boring and mundane.  A new exercise phenomenon that is taking over the country is burlesque gyms. Burlesque gyms, specifically featuring pole- dancing classes, are a great way to stay in shape. Pole dancing workouts are a great way to increase muscularity, build confidence, and most importantly have fun.  Burlesque gyms were first opened in the early 2000’s and have gained momentum with every passing year. For UConn students, the nearby Vernon, CT has recently opened a pole- dancing studio, Pole For The Mind, Body, and Soul. This facility specializes in pole dancing classes, and also offers classes in belly dancing, aerobic hula- hooping, zumba and yoga. And although most people don’t envision a pole and hula -hoop when they think about the most beneficial workout equipment, the two are actually some of the most intense workouts a person can take part in. Unlike jogging on treadmill, women are guaranteed to feel sexy, young, and strong when they are butterflying on a pole. Pole dancing can burn up to 250- 600 calories per hour, and increase muscle strength. And true to the title of the gym, pole will improve your mind just as much as your body. We all have heard people say, “working out is a natural high!, however my idea of letting loose is not riding an elliptical or bench- pressing 200 lbs. Pole dancing has been proven to improve mood. I have never left a pole- dancing workout where people weren’t laughing, bouncing, and sauntering out the door. We all know what great bodies dancers have, and this work out doesn’t require you to be a prima ballerina to be capable of spinning on a pole. The only requirements are to be able to let loose, and have fun. Next time you have the choice to join a regular gym or a burlesque studio, consider what gym will make you look better and be a fun story to tell your friends.