“Pearl”: Ti West and Mia Goth’s Prequel to “X”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

The entertainment company A24 has created many award-winning and memorable movies despite being created only 10 years ago. Some of their most recent successes include X, Bodies, Bodies, Bodies, and Everything, Everywhere, All at Once. My favorite genre produced by A24, and some of their biggest hits, are horror and thriller movies. The most famous include Midsommar and Hereditary. A24 horror movies each have very different plots and characters, but all rely on quality acting, cinematography, and disturbing material rather than jumpscares. The most recent success was X, a slasher movie about an adult film crew shooting on a farm. Even though slashers are one of the most common types of horror movies, which often can become repetitive, X stood out from the rest.

Analysis

The movie Pearl takes you back to 1918 when the elderly woman from X , Pearl, is in her twenties. From the beginning of the movie, Pearl’s daily struggles are clear. She lives with her abusive mother and completely paralyzed father who she is responsible for taking care of. The first few scenes of the movie suggest that Pearl is a typical small-town girl hoping to achieve dreams of stardom so she can get off her family’s farm. Those few sweet moments are quickly ruined when Pearl’s first horrific act occurs and it is clear who she really is. The rest of the movie shows her descent into madness as she feels more and more rejected by society. The movie doesn’t have a cookie-cutter plot, which is honestly what made it so different from other thriller or horror movies I have seen. From the beginning to the very end you are immersed in Pearl’s world as the entire movie deep dives into her psyche.

One of my favorite aspects of this movie was the cinematography and use of music. Both X and Pearl are made to look like they were filmed during the time period they are set in. Pearl looks like many of the classic movies from the early 20th century. It has bright colors and a vintage font introduces the beginning and end of the film. It personally reminded me a lot of one of the most famous movies from the beginning of the 20th century, The Wizard of Oz. It quickly becomes clear through the use of music and the first few scenes that this won’t be as whimsical or fun as the beloved children’s movie. The music takes you through both sides of Pearl’s character. When she is being kind or dreaming, it plays typical whimsical music used to foreshadow a happy character or moment in classic movies. As soon as the moment changes though and Pearl shows her true self, the music drastically changes to the type of music you would hear in The Wizard of Oz when the wicked witch appears.

Overall, what makes Pearl such a standout to me is Mia Goth’s performance. She perfectly portrays a serial killer who is deranged but sweet. She is able to make the transitions between both sides of Pearl’s personality seamlessly, making her feel like a real person. Pearl acts kind and delicate, but as soon as a person (animals aren’t safe either…) rejects her or her dreams she immediately lashes out. Goth’s best acting comes at the climax of the movie where Pearl has an eight-minute monologue that delves into her thoughts, dreams, and why she acts the way she does. Eight minutes seems excessive for a monologue, but Goth captures your attention the entire time, and it feels like you are across the table from her. Even in the ending credits, she is smiling and wincing at the same time, which beautifully represents Pearl wanting to maintain face even though it’s clear she is deeply disturbed.

Conclusion

Pearl was one of the best thrillers released this year. I loved the acting and 70’s aesthetic X so my expectations for Pearl were high. I ended up liking Pearl even more than X, as it was so different from anything I had seen. It had very few jumpscares and did not overdo the kill count or goriness. The movie relied on the tension created by the music, cinematography, and Mia Goth’s acting to make the viewer feel unsettled. Most of the thriller character studies are focused on male psychopaths who hold power over their victims, so it was interesting to see a focus on a woman. In particular, a woman who feels trapped by her family, her husband, and the role society expects her to fill. Even though her actions throughout the movie are not in any way justifiable, you can’t help but be fascinated by and have sympathy for her character. This movie definitely ranks high on my top favorite movies of all time and I’m excited to see what A24, TI West, and Mia Goth will create in the future. 

Elysia Rudman is the TikTok Chair of Her Campus UConn. Elysia loves writing about fashion, pop culture, and social issues. She is currently a Junior studying Marketing. On Campus, Elysia is also the Vice President of Business Management Society. In her free time she loves going to museums, spending time with her dogs, and going to spin classes.