Over The Party Scene? Here’s How To Make It More Enjoyable

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

As you navigate your way through the college experience, your weekends can start to feel super repetitive. You’ve packed a questionable amount of people into some frat pledges car, you’ve nearly stumbled down the stairs at Huskies, and you’ve gone to Sam’s Food Store to satisfy those post-party cravings. During your first semesters here at UConn, these are fun and exciting ways to flaunt your newfound independence. However, for the veteran partiers, it can get rather boring. As a worn-out upperclassman, I am going to give you five methods to spice up those weekends (or weekdays).

Arrive in theme

Themed nights are an entertaining way to switch up the usual going-out routine with as much (or as little) commitment as you want! There are so many ways you can do this. You may create a theme with some friends or host a themed party. If you want to make it more exciting, see if people can guess the group’s theme! You can also attend themed nights at many of the UConn bars. Grab a cowgirl hat and some boots and head to Pourhouse for country night, or dress up your friend group as different celebrities and see who gets recognized the most. There are so many ways to have fun with themes!

EWC 3 Rep Imagejpg?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Go to activity nights

There are a variety of weekly events that can make even casual bar visits more amusing. Gather a group of your smartest (or dumbest) friends and climb the ranks in trivia at Huskies Tavern. If you want to show out for our athletic huskies, you can catch a game and get some drinks. These nights are the best way to do something chill while still getting a taste of going out.

find a new spot

When you feel like you have exhausted all options, there is always an opportunity to find something new. There are bars and clubs all over Connecticut that are waiting for you to check them out. Find a karaoke or line-dancing bar and try something you have never tried before. Grab a designated driver or split an Uber and find a different and exciting place to explore.

become besties with the bartender

The bartenders have to deal with a lot of our bullsh*t, so become a friendly face whose company they can enjoy. Learn about who they are, ask them about their favorite drinks, and you might be able to make a new friend. Ask them to make you a surprise drink of their choice. Make their shift a little more enjoyable! If you’re lucky, you might even get some discounted drinks.

Talk to strangers

For most of your life you were told not to talk to strangers, but I cannot suggest talking to the random people at bars or parties enough. It sounds like a terrifying endeavor, but it could lead you to some amazing opportunities or friendships. Chat someone up about music, drinks, or their outfit. After all, these are people you may walk by on your way to class and never interact with, so take that chance at a new friend. I am still friends with a girl that walked up to me and complimented my piercings over a year ago at Ted’s. Socializing with random people might give you the same possibility. There are a ton of lovely people that are looking to be friends with you, and you can be the one to make that first impression. Be sure to let your friends know where you are though.

Repeating the same routine every weekend makes going out feel like a chore. Give some of these methods a try and see if you have a better experience. The most important thing in going out at UConn is to be safe, be careful, and look out for your fellow huskies. Party on!

Emma Tapia

U Conn '24

Emma Tapia is a senior majoring in Political Science and Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies. She is a Her Campus contributor, and President of the The Connecticut Compromise; a University of Connecticut satire publication. She publishes a number of articles pertinent to health, wellness, film, and music. She is often found reading, journaling, curating spotify playlists, and chatting it up.