This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

I am a firm believer that beauty starts long before you begin your actual makeup regimen. Before blemishes have been concealed or foundation applied, it’s important to be proactive about creating the best possible canvas for your makeup. You may even find you’ll need to apply less of it after reading these 5 tips!

1) Exfoliate your lips for ultimate smoothness

Suffering from chapped lips? Most lip balms tend to only coat the surface of your lips, rather than actually absorb into them. Create your own exfoliator by adding a few drops of any natural oil, like olive or jojoba, into a small container; add a tablespoon of sugar, and gently brush your lips with this homemade scrub using a small toothbrush (using your finger will work, too). This rubbing motion will loosen the dead skin, but don’t go crazy with it! Try to use this scrub once a week (for no longer than a couple of minutes) to combat chapped, peeling lips. Removing the dead skin will make your lips immediately look smoother and feel softer (much like exfoliating your face would do). Lock moisture in afterward with a layer of lip balm, but make sure the balm doesn’t contain menthol or camphor, which can irritate your lips.

Pro-Tip: If you have eye cream laying around, it can double as a rich moisturizer for your lips when you’re on-the-go. Not too greasy, and just the right amount of hydration.

2) Reduce under-eye puffiness

Speaking of eye gel, try refrigerating it overnight for a quick pick-me-up in the morning. We all know that pesky under-eye circles make us look tired and can unfortunately age us.  Before loading on the concealer though, reach for something cold (chilly temperatures reduce puffiness). Personally, I like using a cold spoon that I leave overnight in the fridge, but cucumber slices work as well. Plus, the cold serves to wake you up a bit more in the morning!

3) Fight pimple redness with decongestant

Nasal decongestant is supposed to reduce your nose’s inflammation, so why not try it on a pimple? According to dermatologist David Bank, spritzing a bit of decongestant on a blemish can reduce redness. If the thought of spraying this on your skin makes you hesitate though, check out YouTube tutorials on this issue to watch a few beauty gurus talk about their experience themselves.

4) Moisturize immediately after showering

“The best time to apply moisturizer is right after a shower when skin is damp, so you trap the moisture on its surface,” says Karen Kim, MD, a dermatologist in Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts. Moisturizing with an oil-based product when skin is still damp will trap the water, helping to hydrate the skin. Give your skin time to absorb the product and dry before applying makeup, however. Need another reason to apply moisturizer? Massaging it into your skin revs up circulation that will reduce the appearance of redness before applying makeup.

Pro-Tip: The best time to pluck your eyebrows in order to avoid pain is also after a shower. The steam from the hot water opens up your pores, making hair removal easier and less painful. Interestingly, running an ice cube along your brows acts as an anesthetic that will decrease pain, as well.

5) Try to lead a healthy lifestyle

And now for the simplest advice: no woman will feel confident and at her best if she is not properly taking care of herself. No amount of cucumbers and moisturizing can make up for the effects of fatigue, stress, or illness. For one thing, sleep deprivation can lead to stress, which can cause breakouts and a dull complexion. Try getting enough sleep every night (that’s 8 hours for you collegiettes), and exercising regularly; even if it’s as small as doing a few push-ups daily, exercise releases endorphins that are associated with a happy feeling, and definitely boosts confidence! Lastly, eating a well-balanced diet and drinking 8 glasses of water daily provide the nutrition you need to feel good about yourself. A smile and confidence are the best accessories, and by taking care of your body and health, you can truly feel comfortable in your own skin (with or without makeup).