This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

The list of rock and roll legends that society has lost is not a short one. Icons including Janis Joplin, Syd Barrett, Kurt Cobain, Prince, Elvis Presley, Jimmi Hendrix, Freddie Mercury, and so many others have all touched the music industry uniquely. Each one created their own legacy that has lived on after their death. 

On October 6, 2020, another icon of rock and roll, Eddie Van Halen, joined this list. He was a man of many talents: a producer, songwriter, and co-founder/lead guitarist of the group Van Halen. Most of all, he was one of the most influential rock musicians of his generation, and the music industry will feel his absence forever.

Rock and roll music itself was an experiment that pioneered the way music would change a generation. It was a jarring addition to the industry in its time and pioneered by Elvis Presley in the 1950s. It was a unique form of music, and those who performed it used rock as a way to embrace their individuality. Eddie and the rest of Van Halen were no different. Eddie founded the group with his brother Alex, Mark Stone, and David Lee Roth in the 70s. Little did they know, they would go on to conquer the rock and roll genre. 

Eddie is known as a pioneer of the tapping technique, an approach that would go on to be mimicked by guitarists everywhere. According to Steve Waksman of NPR, two-finger tapping is a guitar method that produces “a cascade of notes” and creates an impressive arpeggio. Made popular by Eddie in the song “Eruption” in 1978, this guitar skill became a favored one that has been copied by many guitarists in history. Allowing for a string of notes to be played in an effortless stream, it changed the way guitar was played for years and would become Van Halen’s signature sound (Waksman).

In his last years, he was a father, friend, and a fighter. Although his marriage to Valerie Bertinelli ended in 2001, he remained good friends with her until his last days. His brother, son, friends, and others close to him will remember him forever, as will the rest of us. Eddie lost his battle with cancer at age 65, and although his loss was felt by all, the feelings of the masses cannot compare to the feelings of those that were close to him. 

Eddie was a producer, singer, songwriter, and guitarist. Besides these things, he was considered a pioneer, a trailblazer, and a rock and roll icon. He will be missed by all. The music industry mourns him, but for tonight, he’s runnin’ with the devil. 

Sources: 

– https://www.npr.org/2020/10/10/922252577/the-astonishing-techniques-that-made-eddie-van-halen-a-guitar-god

– https://popculture.com/music/news/eddie-van-halen-marriage-valerie-bertinelli-what-remember/#5

Zoey Day

U Conn '21

Zoey is a content creator and a senior at the University of Connecticut majoring in Sociology and Communications. During her free time, you can find her reading, drinking coffee, listening to music, watching travel vlogs, cooking or watching Netflix. She is passionate about writing, humanitarian work, working with kids, and theater/art. One of her favorite pastimes is skiing.