This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

If there’s one thing about me, it’s that I have loved languages for most of my life. Growing up in a family of Albanian immigrants, it was made clear to me from a young age that learning more than one language would be really important as I grew up, and it has been completely true. I’m of course fluent in English, but I’m also able to speak enough Spanish and Albanian that I would consider myself to be intermediate at both. Here’s how I keep up with them while in college.

1. Speaking

This one is the most obvious, but also the most difficult. Since Albanian is more obscure a language than something like Spanish, I find myself struggling to use it while at school where many do not speak it. I speak the most Albanian when I call my grandma, who isn’t fluent in English, as well as when I talk to my mom, who is fluent in both Albanian and English and can correct me when needed. Of course, I also use it when I’m home, and try to fit in as much as possible during weekends and breaks. When it comes to Spanish, since it is more common and my roommate happens to speak it to the same degree I do, we practice sometimes, which is a lot of fun.

2. Media in other Languages

This was one method taught to me in my various Spanish classes throughout middle and high school. We would do listening comprehension activities using songs, and one of those happened to be by Alvaro Soler, who is now my favorite Spanish artist. I also try to do this with Albanian, whether it is reading the news or listening to music. The more I make these part of my everyday life, the easier it is to keep up with them.

3. apps when available

Fortunately, Spanish is one of the most commonly spoken languages in the world, so resources are widely available when it comes to learning. In high school, I would supplement my Spanish classes with Duolingo to ensure my conversational skills would not fade while learning more complex topics and grammar. I still use it when I can, and it helps to keep the language in my working memory. Unfortunately, this is not commonly available for Albanian, so I rely on my other methods to keep up with it.

organization apps?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp

Overall, the best way to not lose a language, like with any skill, is to use it as much as possible. I find languages to be such an important way to connect with people, and there is nothing more exciting than when I’m traveling and am able to speak to locals in their own language. If you have given any consideration to learning a second language, let this be your sign that it is both possible and completely worth it!

Bella is a sophomore at the University of Connecticut double-majoring in English and Secondary English Education. She is a Public Relations and Events Chair for Her Campus UConn, where she spends time planning events to foster a strong sense of community among the chapter. Bella enjoys writing articles about books she reads, and providing advice for incoming students. In her spare time, you’ll find Bella browsing a bookstore with a coffee in-hand, baking her latest favorite recipe, embroidering some flowers, or listening to her current Spotify playlist on repeat.