Justis Lopez ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

This weeks Campus Celebrity is Justis Lopez, a sophomore at UConn as well as creator of the popular song, “White and Navy”!

Campus Celebrity: Justis Lopez

Year: Sophomore
Major: Education History
Hometown: Manchester, CT

What are organizations are you involved with on campus?

I helped guide the new freshman serving as an orientation leader this past summer. I also serve as an R.A. in Watson. I love to help out with new incoming students and help out with Husky Ambassadors Husky for a day. I am a member of Husky Pride Sprit and Tradition, keeping the school pride alive at UConn! I truly do believe that people learn a lot from the clubs and activities they are involved with.

What was your most memorable moment of Homecoming this year?

Homecoming is the best time of the year, especially lip-sync! It was so cool to be the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and help lead PRLACC to first place for cultural centers. Everyone was so excited and we felt that all the hard work that we put into the show paid off. We’re glad everyone enjoyed the show.

How did you feel when you heard your song “White and Navy” blasting in Gample for lip sync?  Any future hits we might be hearing soon?

“White and Navy” was something me and my friends created one weekend when we where chilling, and were glad people enjoy the song. Hearing it played at Gampel, and performed to, was the icing on the cake to a great night. We have some other songs in the works like, “Husky Hustle”, describing the life of the best mascot in the nation, Jonathan the Husky!

What’s on your iPod playlist right now?

Daft punk, Michael Jackson, Lupe

How do you manage a job, activities and classes?

I try to never lose sight in whatever I do and always see the purpose in all that I do.

What are your career aspirations after graduating from UConn?

I want to become a High School history teacher, and then a principal and eventually a super intendant.

Do you have any suggestions for students new to UConn and incoming students?

Be yourself and let the rest follow! Go UConn!!

My name is Ashley Dostie and I am the current Editor in Chief for the Her Campus branch at the University of Connecticut. I am a journalism and public relations double major and I am looking forward to expanding and publicizing this amazing online magazine come fall semester!