Lindsay Thompson-Music Festival Miami Ultra Lights Stage Concert Balloons Music Edm
Lindsay Thompson / Her Campus

iPartied with Matt Bennett

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Remember that crossover episode of Victorious and iCarly where they all ended up partying together at Kenan Thompson’s house? There’s a random panda bear and Carly and Tori were both dating the same crappy guy? Well, growing up, I was so envious of them. Getting to be in the room with so many amazing, talented people and have a blast singing and dancing together just looked so fun! Alas, that would never be. Or would it?

victorious christmas?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Nickolodeon / Netflix

Matt Bennett, or Robbie Shapiro from Victorious, has been touring the country, bringing the reality of that party to life by DJing with only Disney Channel and Nickelodeon songs. I had the incredible opportunity to see him when he came to New Haven this October. And let me tell you, it was the most fun I’ve ever had in my life.

First of all, imagine the vibes of a club full of Disney Channel and Nickelodeon fans. Immaculate. People were dressed up in costume as Troy and Gabriella, the Cheetah Girls, London and Maddie, and even Tori as the Raisin Bran-obsessed cop. Everyone was so excited to be in a club playing Disney and Nickelodeon music from our childhoods. The opening DJ did a great job of getting us hyped up. Never in my life did I imagine screaming the words to the Phineas and Ferb theme song in a nightclub, but it happened. And it was magical. 

high school musical 2 summer job?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Disney

When Matt came out, the place exploded as if Harry Styles had just stepped onto the stage. People went ballistic. As they should! It was ridiculously exciting to see someone who was so significant to our childhoods standing just a few yards away. He was an absolute blast, dancing, singing, running through the crowd, and taking people’s BeReals and Snapchat stories. He invited lots of people up on stage to dance along to the Hoedown Throwdown, he brought up Troy and Gabriella to perform Breaking Free, and he even gave us a Cheetah Girls performance that I will never forget. 

Possibly the most shocking moment of the entire night was when he not so subtly implied that he MADE OUT WITH KE$HA BACKSTAGE WHEN SHE GUEST-STARRED ON VICTORIOUS! No words.

I would 1000% recommend this experience to anyone who was raised by Hannah Montana, Wizards of Waverly Place, Suite Life, Victorious, iCarly, or any Disney or Nickelodeon show of that era. You will not regret it. 12/10, it healed my inner child. If he ever comes back to Connecticut, I will be attending again for another night of dancing to “Determinate”.

Kallan Doyon

U Conn '23

Kallan is a senior at the University of Connecticut studying Psychology, with minors in Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies and Sociology. She plans to pursue her Masters in Social Work after this year. She loves writing! Like, genuinely love it, and rediscovered her love of writing just recently!