An Introvert’s Guide to Surviving UConn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

If you somehow haven’t realized, UConn is a ridiculously large school. Being an introvert on campus can make life a lot more difficult. So, here’s a list of ways to be your best-introverted self at a place that loves its extrovert.

1. Get everywhere really early

Sure, it sucks to wake up at 7 a.m., but at least you won’t have to worry about finding a seat in a crowded lecture hall, or even worse, the library. On the plus side, getting up early means that you can at least feel a little bit more productive and you might get to experience a gorgeous UConn sunrise.

2. Study in buildings everyone forgets about.

Homer Babs is not big enough to accommodate the amount of students here, which means it fills up FAST. Fortunately, it’s not the only building to study in on campus. Don’t forget about places like Bousfield, Wilbur Cross, Rowe or Gentry. They’re usually decently quiet and not as packed, meaning less stressful wanders through the library trying to find a table and the feeling that everyone is looking at you.

3. Never go to Dunkin in between classes.

Chances are you truly do run on Dunkin, but trying to navigate through the hell that is the Student Union Dunkin just isn’t worth it. Too many people, not enough space. But when you’re really craving that delicious coffee, go at times when you know people are in class. Less people, less stress.

4. Suck it up and take the stairs.

If you’re like me and like to study on the fourth floor of the lib, taking the elevator would seem like the logical way to get there. Unfortunately, that’s how everyone else thinks, too, so there are always about 20 people on each elevator ride. No, thank you. You may feel like you want to die when you reach the last flight of those god forsaken stairs, but at least you weren’t squished up against the wall of an incredibly small space by a 6’2″ frat boy. And you can most definitely count it as your workout for the day…or week.

5. Eat at Whitney.

By far the most underrated dining hall. Food is always good, the atmosphere is cozy, and it’s never super busy. What more could you ask for?

6. Two words — wine nights.

Frat parties may just be the epitome of an introvert’s worst nightmare. If you’re feeling ~adventurous~ by all means go, and you’ll probably have a blast. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with a low-key wine night in your own room with a few of your favorite people.

7. Most importantly, recharge.

This campus is busy. Even walking to class can be stressful when 18,000 other people are doing the same thing. So make sure to take some time to yourself. Just because you’re constantly surrounded by your best friends, does not mean that you have to spend every minute with them. It’s okay to need some alone time.

If you’re noticing a theme, you’d be right. Avoidance is key. But be careful not to distance yourself too much. There’s nothing worse than the feeling of being alone in a sea of people.  Go out and be free to be you, introverted collegiettes!

Taylor Friel

U Conn '20

Taylor is a senior double majoring in Political Science and Economics. This is her fifth semester in Her Campus and currently serves as Treasurer. If she’s not ranting about politics, she’s probably stalking dogs on social media or spending too much time making Spotify playlists.