Career

Incoming Freshman Advice: It’s Okay To Not Know What You Want To Do

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

May 1st is the annual decision day for incoming freshmen to decide where they want to go to college and what they want to do. It is a stressful time for students to make a big decision that can determine the rest of their career and life goals. However, it is common to not know what you want to do right away. It’s reported that 20-50% of students start college “undecided” in terms of what they want to do in the future even though they chose a major already. Additionally, 75% of college students change their majors during their college years. That’s what college is for; to explore and branch out your opportunities.

During the last few months of your senior year, it may be overwhelming to see your other peers getting accepted into college with a major they already know they want to do. But just know you have four more years to decide what you want to do. During college, you will be able to explore clubs related to different majors, and internships which allow you to explore “real world” experience within your desired major. Especially during your first two years, you can take different classes from all different subjects like chemistry, biology, and philosophy!

My first piece of advice is to connect with other students at the University of Connecticut or the college you are choosing. When it gets closer to orientation there will be freshman groupchats that will connect you to so many other incoming freshmen who are also in your shoes!

Also, don’t be afraid to change your major during college! You don’t have to stick to the first major that you choose. A lot of students will decide after taking a major class that it is not suited for them and will change their major which is totally okay to do! Advisors recommend exploring before making a decision. For example, if you want to be in the business school but you don’t know what business to concentrate in you are able to take a variety of business classes for ‘general requirements’ to help you to better understand each major in the business school.

Freshman year is the year to explore and learn different stuff and get out of your comfort zone. At UConn there are first-year learning communities to help you get closer to other people in your major. Join clubs and make friends and get closer to your professors — they will be your best friend during your college undergraduate career.

“You may never know what results come of your action, but if you do nothing there will be no result.”

— Mahatma Ghandi

In conclusion, don’t worry if you make mistakes. Humans are made to make mistakes. Be wise, put your learning cap on, and broaden your horizons!

Ayshah is a Junior at the University of Connecticut studying Economics and Journalism. When she is not writing for Her Campus, she is fostering and helping cats at her local cat rescue; 'Enfield Community Cat Project'. She also likes to spend her time at the gym hitting cardio or climbing away at the rock wall.