If Television Show Best Friends Were Snack Food Combinations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

It doesn’t get much better than snacking while watching television, but have you ever thought about television show characters as some of your favorite snack foods? If not, I guess it’s a good thing you’ve got me around.

Friends’ Joey and Chandler: Nutella and Pretzels

Hands down one of the cutest friendships in sitcom history (don’t @ me). Joey was supposed to be nothing more than a replacement roommate, and yet one of the most endearing bromances emerged (potentially low-key to Ross’ dismay but hey, when does anything go right for Ross?). Joey is the Nutella of this equation. He is smooth, sweet, and something that all the ladies go for. There are times when he can let his ego get the best of him, but he always manages to return back to his roots as a comforter. Chandler, on the other hand, is the true embodiment of a pretzel. I mean, the man is so salty. Chandler needs the lovable presence Joey provides, much like Joey needs the structure and stability Chandler provides. The balance here is a match made in delicious heaven.

One Tree Hill’s Peyton and Brooke: Chocolate Covered Strawberries

Much like how the image of a chocolate strawberry screams sappy sweetness, so does Brooke and Peyton’s relationship.  Their friendship oozes of pure affection and admiration for one another. Sure, there was that weird time when they hated each other because they were fighting over Lucas, but eventually they realized, as all good pairs do, that they are meant to be best friends forever and no lame boy can come between them. I see Brooke as being the strawberry; fun and flirty, sweet and sassy, but also having a hollow center that needs to be filled – which she most definitely fills as her character progresses and realizes excessive partying can’t solve all life’s problems. Peyton’s the chocolate; edgy and mysterious, angsty yet sweet. The chocolate helps to make the strawberry more mature, while the strawberry keeps the chocolate youthful and light. They can stand alone perfectly fine, but together they are a force to be reckoned with and P. Sawyer and B. Davis were for sure the most enviable and toughest duo in One Tree Hill.

Shameless’ V and Fiona: Buffalo Wings and Blue Cheese Dressing

Speaking of tough duos, it doesn’t get more badass in terms of personality and bond than Fiona and V, the blue cheese to the Buffalo wing, respectively. These characters, much like this snack, are misunderstood. A Buffalo wing alone can being thought of as overpowering, and blue cheese has this horrible reputation of being the black sheep of a ranch dressing family. But c’mon people, Fiona and V are simply strong and capable women that know what they want and won’t take no for an answer. While V may be the spicier of the ladies, Fiona has no problem assuming a strong role in the relationship; it’s just that ultimately, Fiona leans to V in many situations. All I’m saying is, boss women deserved to be related to a boss snack, and nothing commands more attention than Buffalo wings and blue cheese dressing.

The Office’s Dwight and Michael: Milk and Oreos

Oh my, what a tumultuous relationship, and yet they embody a very simple snack. Cookie to milk, Regional Manager to Assistant to the Regional Manager. Dwight is the milk, catering solely to the cookie’s (Michael’s) needs and desires to be its best self. While I think Dwight is kookier than milk, he also provides the stability as well as the ability of softening of a hard exterior that you see in a milk and cookie relationship. Michael is 100% an Oreo; not the most appealing on the outside, but sweet and gracious on the inside. Their compatibility derives majorly from Dwight’s need to please Michael, and yet Dwight still shines because most people will only eat the inside of the Oreo if they don’t have milk, so an Oreo, much like Michael, is very appreciative to have milk (Dwight) in their lives.

Stranger Things’ Barb and Nancy: Celery and Peanut Butter

Oh Barb, the unfortunate celery stalk constantly overshadowed by the much more appealing peanut butter that is Nancy. Barb receives zero love, which is totally not fair because she is the base of the relationship, much like celery is for peanut butter. Yet peanut butter gets all the attention as the flashier, much more exciting half of the pair. Barb does nothing but watch out for Nancy’s well-being, and what does Nancy do? Well I’ll tell you what she does. Nancy lets Barb rot in the upside-down. As a huge supporter of peanut butter, it pains me to discuss it in this way but the truth must be told; Nancy is an attention hogging dollop of peanut butter, coating a Barb celery that didn’t sign up for these antics. #JusticeForBarb

Bonus! 

Martha & Snoop’s Potluck Dinner Party’s Snoop Dogg and Martha Stewart: Wendy’s Frosty and French Fries

I include them in as a bonus because while they are not a fictional duo, they are one of my personal favorite friendships in television, currently. Snoop Dogg, the chill, too-cool-for-school Frosty, delightfully sweet and refreshing. Martha is the French fries, a solid snack that may look bland and regular upon first glance, but oh how mistaken you realize you are once you take a bite and are hit by warmth and flavor. Just like Snoop Dogg and Martha, it seems wrong to combine a Frosty with French fries, and yet this is the salty-sweet match everyone needs in their lives.  Martha’s quick wit makes her a good candidate for a friend of Snoop as she is able to go along with whatever he does. Snoop helps to mellow out Martha and keep her humble and outgoing. Opposites most definitely do attract my friends, and Snoop and Martha/Frosty and French fries are the perfect example of that.

Cover Image Sources (1, 2)