How To Put the ‘Friends’ in Friendsgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Can we really host a Friendsgiving without paying tribute to the ones who practically invented the holiday for us? Without a doubt the cast of the 90s sitcom Friends showed us what an epic Friendsgiving must entail. Below I compiled a list of must-haves to have the most perfect Friendsgiving this holiday season.

Bring on the funyuns and grilled cheese

Throwing it back to the very first Friends Thanksgiving episode, “The One Where The Underdog Gets Away”. Monica and Rachel have the gangs’ first Thanksgiving dinner planned out to a tee, until they get locked out of their apartment. The turkey might’ve been burnt to a crisp but the celebration must go on, with grilled cheese and Funyuns for that matter! Now I know this may not be the most elegant Friendsgiving meal, but hey it’s Joey Tribbiani approved. For a quick and easy Friendsgiving meal make sure to stock up on bread, cheese, and DON’T forget the Funyuns!

who’s bringing three types of potatoes?

Monica being the amazing hostess we all know and love, she prepared three different forms of potatoes for Thanksgiving…until she got locked out of the apartment. The three forms of potatoes go as follows: Joey and his tater tots, Phoebe’s whipped potatoes with peas and onions, and of course mashed potatoes with lumps for Ross. Will you be taking on the challenge of whipping up three types of potatoes this Friendsgiving? Just mashed are boring anyway!

Did Somebody say trifle?

Can anyone really have a proper Friendsgiving without a trifle? A Rachel Green trifle to be exact, the ingredients are as follows: ladyfingers, jam, custard from scratch, raspberries, bananas, whipped cream, and sautéed beef with peas and onions— side note, meat and peas are not ingredients in a real trifle! During this Thanksgiving special Rachel offered to whip something up for dessert, only to find out that two pages of her recipe book were stuck together. One being a classic English trifle and the second being shepherd’s pie, and so the infamous meat trifle came to be. Now I’m not recommending you add this exact sweet yet savory treat to your spread…but you can substitute the meat and peas with green M&Ms and crushed Oreos for the Rachel effect but not quite the same flavor profile!

A “friendly” game of football

In the season three special the gang plays a not-so-friendly game of touch football, carrying on a Geller family tradition. In hot pursuit of the “Geller Cup” Monica does the absolute most to win, even if that means wrestling your brother and postponing Thanksgiving dinner. Would you be willing to challenge your friends in a friendly football game this Friendsgiving? Make sure to make it after dinner to avoid any hangry players!

As the holiday season comes rushing in remember to celebrate Friendsgiving the only way appropriate, the Friends way. With a variety of potatoes, some friendly competition, doubtful desserts, and of course a bit of chaos. Are we ready to channel our inner Monica or what?

Gianna is a sophomore at the University of Connecticut studying Communication. She enjoys shopping, getting coffee, and taking pictures (mostly of her dog)! Gianna enjoys writing about anything from fashion, to music, or relatable lifestyle content specifically for college aged women. In her future Gianna hopes to start a career in public relations and/or marketing. She has always had a passion for writing and believes that HerCampus is an incredible outlet for other women with the same passion! In her free time Gianna loves spending time with friends, staying active, and taking millions of sunset pictures.