This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Are you a summer intern, or did you land your first post-graduate job? If so, it’s likely that a work party is going to appear on your calendar. If you plan on going, here are a few tips on what to expect to have fun and stay professional.

I recently attended my summer internship’s first happy hour. It was dedicated to the interns and designed to help us meet our co-workers. Here is what I learned.

Figure out what you’re wearing.

Unaware of what to wear to my first work party, I wore light-wash jeans and a nice sweater. While it was a cute and semi-professional choice, I found myself a bit too casual compared with the other party-goers. Also, wearing a sweater in a bar was a mistake. I was hot and sweaty and found myself chugging water like it was no one’s business. My other coworkers were wearing slacks, chino pants, blouses, blazers, and collared shirts. I recommend wearing what you wear in the office. That will also depend on the time of day or if it’s inside or outside. 

When you arrive.

At the latest, try to arrive 20 minutes after the designated start. This is a sweet spot of not arriving too early to where it’ll seem like a ghost town and not too late where it’s packed with people and you can’t seem to find anyone.

Socialize with a familiar face or someone new.

Once there, you can choose to go up to someone you’re familiar with or someone you don’t know well. I suggest going up to someone you know and have chatted with before. This can help you scope out the vibe and feel more comfortable. Once you’ve caught up and feel the conversation has come to a natural end, politely excuse yourself and find someone you have yet to introduce yourself to.

Now, I suggest going up to a larger group of people and introducing yourself. You might stop the conversation for a bit, but they’ll happily introduce themselves and catch you up in the conversation.

Network! and I mean it.

This is what I like to call casual networking. It’s less intimidating than a conference or work-style networking and more relaxed because of the social setting. Take advantage of this! Overall, take this time to connect with people who you don’t see or talk with every day. On the flip side, try to engage more with those you’ve already met on a deeper level.

To drink, or not to drink.

If you’re under 21, I highly recommend not drinking. Although your co-workers might offer, tell you it’s all right, or even if you see everyone else drinking, I suggest staying away from it. Aside from the legal issues that might arise, you might find yourself over-sharing with a coworker you just met five minutes ago. If you are 21, go for it! But again, know your limit and, as always, be cautious.

Don’t make it all about work.

It can be overwhelming talking about personal lives and going beyond work talk; however, try to get to know your co-workers and who they are as people. If you’re meeting someone for the first time, it’s all right to ask what they do at work, where their desk is located, and other formalities. However, after that, go beyond. Ask where they’re from, where they went to school, and what they did over the weekend/going to do the upcoming weekend. Try to find similarities such as home location, major, hobbies, and interests. Again, if the conversation dwindles, politely excuse yourself from the conversation or merge with another group. Try to do everything naturally. It’s truly dependent on the vibes and how you are feeling.  

Avoid gossiping.

I know it can be tempting to engage in some office drama but stay out of it! If someone starts gossiping, acknowledge it and move on or try to change the subject. You never know who might be listening in and relay that information to someone else or get the wrong idea.

Have fun!

And seriously, do. Once a few hours have passed, you’ll notice that people get more comfortable and relaxed. Take this opportunity to really get to know people beyond their work tasks, schooling, and where they’re from. Find people with similar interests and maybe even plan professional out-of-work related activities such as grabbing lunch or coffee.

After the party.

Don’t ghost people! Say hi at work, in the kitchen or hallway, and catch up. This can be great for continuing the relationship.

Julliana is a junior at the University of Connecticut majoring in history and journalism. When she isn't trying to understand the fundamentals of ancient Vietnam in class, she enjoys watching reruns of Gilmore Girls, watching recently released movies, and listening to old music.