Style > Fashion

How To Elevate Your Outfits For Class This Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

The semester is nearing an end, the weather is getting colder, and to say the least, the chaos of the final few weeks of the semester is getting to us. Amongst the stress and seemingly never-ending stack of assignments, one thing that I can always look forward to is a cute outfit to wear to class each day. I know, the thought of wearing jeans to class has become a little more repulsive lately, but putting some effort into my outfits always makes me feel like I have my life a little bit more in control. Here are some foolproof ways to elevate class outfits, a.k.a. my tried and trues for making sweatpants look put-together.

1. Vests

If there is one thing that you take away from this article, it is to invest in a cute puffer vest. I am constantly reaching for mine and they have quickly become a staple in my closet this semester. Even throwing a vest over a sweatshirt and sweatpants makes you look so much more put together (and much cozier too). My favorite place to get mine is TJ Maxx, they have so many gems for around $20. 

2. cute Jewelry

Gold jewelry will elevate any outfit. Having a staple pair of hoop earrings and a cute charm necklace will make you look much more put together and can dress up a sweatsuit. It takes virtually no effort, too. I have been loving Evry Jewels, their jewelry is such high quality for the price and they have so many cute designs to offer.

3. Matching Sweatsuits

Something that I have been doing this semester to elevate my sweatpants and sweatshirt fits is coordinating them. This may sound really simple, but matching the colors of your sweatshirt and sweatpants together makes you look so much more put together, and sleek, and takes much less time to pick out an outfit. I have been purchasing more neutral pieces of clothing (navy, beige, white, grey) so that I can easily match them together and create cute sets myself!

4. Mini Uggs

We have certainly seen the return of mini Uggs, and I am all for it. If you have not gotten a pair yet, there are so many dupes available online for an affordable option. I think pairing these with any wide-leg sweatpants looks cute and effortless. I have also been loving pairing them with chunky knit socks, creating a look that is both cozy and cute.

5. Trucker HAts

Perfect for a dirty hair day, trucker hats can elevate any cozy class outfit. This is my ultimate life hack for when I am not feeling my best that day, but still want to look put together. With so many colors, designs, and logos to choose from, you cannot go wrong with adding a cute hat to any outfit.

6. Oversized Sweaters

When I want to look more put together, oversized sweaters are my go-to. I think that sweaters can be even cozier than hoodies. Pairing a chunky knit sweater with a pair of leggings or yoga pants is the perfect cozy look this winter. My favorite oversized sweaters come from Aerie and American Eagle, which you can most often find at TJ Maxx as well.

Coming from a senior, these are some foolproof ways that I have found to elevate my outfits this semester. Especially as it gets colder, prioritizing comfort is important as we near the end of the semester! 

Emily Rostkowski is a senior at the University of Connecticut studying math and math education. She is a contributing writer to HerCampus UConn who enjoys writing on culture, fitness, lifestyle, and college topics. Aside from this, Emily is pursuing research in her field and has worked as a research assistant this past summer. She will begin full-time student teaching this spring in a high school mathematics classroom. In her spare time, she enjoys traveling, working out, eating ice cream, trying new coffee shops, and attending UConn sporting events. Most importantly, she is a hot girl walk, Taylor Swift, and sugar cookie latte enthusiast.