How To Support Other Women Beyond Women’s History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

As Women’s History Month comes to a close, it’s important to continue supporting women on both small and large scales. Strong communities are created through consistent support of one another and reminders of past successes. Women need to keep breaking glass ceilings and opening new doors so our daughters can become future leaders. Here are some ways for you to keep supporting women in your life and in the larger community.

girls rule written on socks by Pexels
Photo by CoWomen from Pexels

1. Connect Meaningfully With Other Women

When having conversations with other women, it’s essential to be authentic and open. Talk honestly about your experiences and struggles with school, work, and life. Discuss taboo topics such as periods and sex. Encourage other women to seek success and be driven to achieve their goals. Through genuine conversations, women will realize that they’re not alone and will be inspired to persevere through their challenges and continue open conversations with younger women in turn. Roxanne Dunbar said it best: “more and more women are realizing that only collective strength and action will allow us to be free to fight for the kind of society that meets basic human needs” (1). By joining together, women will have the best chance of succeeding. 

Three women talking with flowers
Photo by Priscilla Du Preez from Unsplash

2. Be Approachable 

Powerful women are strong and will inspire younger girls to become influential too. It’s crucial for women in higher positions to be approachable to less experienced women to help them also succeed. In business settings, “Women belong in all places where decisions are being made… It shouldn’t be that women are the exception” (Ruth Bader Ginsburg, 1). Women should be supporting other women in their work from seconding their ideas in a meeting to suggesting them for promotions for their hard work. By being approachable, women can become mentors for others at their work and inspire success. Through this cycle of supporting women in your business, you can break glass ceilings and move more women into positions of power. This way, women won’t be the exception in higher positions, but will rather create an equal environment for all genders. 

Three women of color are sitting at a table; two are on one side and  one is on the other with a laptop in front of her. They are in a conference room.
Phoot by Christina from wocintechchat.com from Unsplash

3. Support Women-Owned Businesses

Buying from small women-owned businesses will help women to achieve their goals and improve working conditions for others worldwide. Forbes wrote an article highlighting “76+ Women-Owned Small Businesses To Support From A Distance” with everything from food to fashion (3). This is a simple way to support other women and help them attain success, especially during the COVID-19 pandemic. From your home, you can order from these companies for yourself or for a friend instead of buying from large fast fashion companies. This will not only support the women owning the small business, but also the women working for the fast fashion companies. The women who work for fast fashion companies are often subject to poor working conditions and minimal pay. By not supporting those companies, you are not supporting the working conditions that those women are faced with. This movement has become increasingly popular in recent years, with many people turning to thrifting and small businesses to boycott the poor treatment of workers. Empowering women means being conscious of who you’re buying from and supporting women by boycotting inhumane working conditions. 

Person using laptop holding credit card
Photo by Rupixen.com from Unsplash

4. Open Doors For Other Women

Opening doors for other women ensures that generations after you will still be heard. It’s about leading the way for women to become powerful leaders in all aspects of their lives, and encouraging others to stand up for themselves. One of the best examples of this is Malala Yousafzai, who’s inspired so many women to use writing as a way to speak up for themselves when they previously had no voice. She claims: “I raise up my voice – not so that I can shout, but so that those without a voice can be heard… We cannot all succeed when half of us are held back” (1). Speaking up and opening doors not only benefits you so that you can achieve your goals but also encourages the success of other women who may be in the same position. Empower other women by creating pathways for them to achieve success in the future and inspiring them to speak up for themselves.

group of people working side by side at table with laptops
Photo by wocintechchat.com from Unsplash

5. Build Their Confidence

Confidence is contagious, and when you’re confident in your decisions and actions, it will cause women around you to also be confident in themselves. Through small things such as compliments or gratitude, you can lift a woman’s spirit and make her feel more confident in herself and her ideas. Fashion designer Coco Chanel was absolutely correct when she said “a girl should be two things: who and what she wants” (2). Women shouldn’t apologize for being who they are and should seek to be their most authentic selves throughout their lives. By supporting other women to be confident in themselves, you are helping them to find their passions and make their mark on the world.

The future is female
Photo by Lindsey LaMont from Unsplash

Empowering other women is important throughout the entire year, not just during Women’s History Month. It’s important to be reminded of how powerful we are and how much we can impact the world with just a little bit of help from each other. Through these ideas, you can support women in your local community to a larger global movement. Women should feel confident, successful, and motivated in their daily lives and by supporting one another we can work to make sure every woman feels like her best self.

Sources: 1/2/3

Madison is a junior Physiology and Neurobiology major. When she's not writing for Her Campus she enjoys baking, reading, and volunteering with Alpha Omicron Pi.