This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Like most things, Thanksgiving is going to look different this year. In an effort to slow the spread of the Coronavirus, we need to do our best to limit social gatherings; but, that doesn’t mean we can’t still enjoy this holiday season.

Keep Your Circle Small

Elbow tap
Photo by Gustavo Fring from Pexels

If you decide to continue with plans of a traditional Thanksgiving feast, and it is perfectly okay if you don’t, make sure to keep your circle small. Celebrate with your immediate family, and avoid unnecessary traveling. If you have to travel and the weather permits it, consider having your meal outside while maintaining a safe distance from other people. 

Use Video Calling 

Coronavirus
Unsplash

This year, set a place at the table for your phone or laptop. If there is one thing this pandemic has shown us, it is how to get creative with video calling. Video calling apps such as Zoom and Google Meets allows you to have up to 100 people on a call at a time, which will let you safely gather with all of your aunts and uncles, grandparents, cousins, and even second or third cousins.

Wear A Mask  

face mask prevention
Photo by Anna Shvets from Pexels

Most college students have to travel home for the holidays this year as many colleges have closed for the semester. If that’s the case for you, and you have not been tested or had the time to complete a full quarantine, you should wear a mask around those you are celebrating with. Once it’s time to eat, you can still enjoy Thanksgiving turkey and all the fixings from a safe distance. 

Make New Traditions 

Red Lips and Rosé

Let’s be honest here, absolutely nothing has been normal this year, so who says we can’t make new traditions this Thanksgiving. Instead of gathering around the dining table in your best clothes, order takeout and cozy up on the couch to watch a movie. You can even use a Google extension called Netflix Party to stream movies and tv shows with friends and family who can’t be with you. 

Woman with curly hair waving and saying hi to someone through her laptop.
Photo by Yan from Pexels

You may not be able to meet in person with all of your family this holiday season, but you can still spend quality time with the people you love. It’s going to take some creativity and some patience, but do your best to avoid traveling and gatherings this year. Be thankful for what you have and for what you can do, rather than thinking about what you might be missing out on. We all need to take responsibility and do our part to keep ourselves and others healthy during this pandemic. P.S. Take comfort in the fact that this may be the only Thanksgiving that you won’t have to argue about politics with your family. 

Laura is a Senior at the University of Connecticut majoring in Communication and minoring in Entrepreneurship. She has a passion for fashion and photography. Laura is also the current Events Chair for Her Campus UCONN!