How To Adjust to a New Semester at UConn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

A new semester is upon us which is very exciting for returning students. However, it  can be especially difficult for a new transfer student! For me, this semester brings a whole new experience, a new school, new friends, new classes, and essentially a whole new world. This is exciting, yet scary at the same time. I just transferred here as a sophomore from Suffolk University in Boston, Massachusetts. For me this is an entire new place, and for other students it’s just a new semester with new classes. UConn is a huge campus, and after 2 weeks I feel comfortable but know that I still have so much to learn about UConn and all that it offers.

Here are my tips on how to get adjusted

1. Make your room feel like home, you will be here for the next semester or longer, so you should love where you are living

2. Make friends with people on your floor, you’ll never have to eat at the dining hall alone!

3. During the first couple of weeks leave at least 20 minutes early for class just incase you get lost to a building you’ve never been to or forget the room number.

4. Get involved – join a club, an intermural sports team, a sorority, or join us at Her Campus UConn.

5. Download the myUConn app, you can check-out what food the dining halls have everyday, track where the buses are and see what events are going on for the week.

6. Try not to sit in the back corner of class alone, sit next to people and make friends incase you miss class one day, grab their phone number.

7. Get to know your RA, you can always go to them for help with anything you need, espeically if you’re a transfer student.

8. Don’t be afraid to go up to your professor and ask them any questions that you may have about the class.

P.S.  If you see a girl walking around looking frantically down at her phone- that’s me, feel free to give me directions! 

Social Media Director for Her Campus UConn. I am a Communication major and Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies minor at the University of Connecticut. Currently a PR Assitant for Mintz + Hoke.