Life > High School

Hey High School Seniors, You’re Almost There!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

If you’re part of the Class of 2023, please keep reading. Everyone else, be prepared because I’m about you take you back a few years, or months if you’re a freshman like me. As a college student, I can safely say these next few months are going to be filled with finals, packing up your dorm, and looking forward to summer. Now if you’re a high school senior, the next few months are going to be filled with college acceptances, a ton of “lasts”, and the whirlwind of this new chapter in your life. I was in your shoes exactly a year ago (from when I’m writing this), and trust me, the nerves and emotions will subside, but it takes time! For now, here are four tips to keep in mind as you enter the final stretch of your high school career.

1. keep those grades up

Trust me when I say I know senioritis is real, it’s real and it’s painful! Just knowing that you’ve already been accepted into college is enough to make anyone want to coast through the rest of the semester. The best piece of advice I have to give you is to think of all the hard work you put in to get into that one specific school. Don’t end it on a bad note! Try and do your best to keep your grades up. This is especially important if you’re receiving an academic-based scholarship as well. I know those last few assignments are as painful as ever, but the end is near!

2. focus on your future

As exciting as this time of year can be, it’s also full of comparison and feeling like you may not be as successful as everyone else. The best and worst time of your high school career is the college acceptance process, the constant worry, and refreshing your email waiting to see if that one school let you in! Along with this, the never-ending pressure of your peers is surrounding you. Seeing your friends get that “dream school” acceptance or being fully committed months in advance is hard, trust me. During times like these, you just have to remember that this choice is yours. You worked for it all, so focus on yourself and where you’re going — not everyone around you. I know it’s easier said than done, but this is the next chapter of your life, so make sure it’s what YOU want!

3. It’s okay to be sad!

These next few months are going to be filled with emotions. Feel them all! A huge part of your life is ending, regardless if they were the best four years or worst four years of your life. Looking back on who I was as a 14-year-old freshman, and now a 19-year-old freshman in college, I can safely say that maybe high school wasn’t the best, but I truly did grow in every way possible. As a freshman, I absolutely couldn’t wait to graduate, but as soon as everything really started coming to an end during senior year, the last thing I wanted to do was leave. Leaving what’s so familiar is the hardest aspect, but just keep in mind that things only get better! College is a learning lesson in every way possible. Once you get settled you’ll realize you absolutely love it. But for now, hold onto every moment you spend with your classmates. Feel excited, sad, and everything in between!

4. Have the best summer ever

Once the graduation emotions subside, you’ll come to the realization that it’s finally summer! The summer you’ve been waiting for all of high school, the one where you don’t have to worry about AP work, getting your schedule, and finding out you don’t have lunch with your BFF. Seriously, all you have to do is have fun and take it all in. Summer after senior year is truly one of the best. There’s not too much to be worried about (besides college… but we chose to ignore that until maybe a week until move in)! Be ready for endless graduation celebrations, senior trips, and MANY sappy goodbyes once the first few friends go off to school. If I can give any tip besides having an awesome time, that would be to work! Freshman year is quite overwhelming, so getting a job isn’t always ideal. Amidst all the amazing fun you’re having, try to make some cash here and there!

So seniors, as you wrap up your final weeks as a high schooler, remember these few tips. This is a time in your life that you’ll never experience again. Enjoy all your “lasts” and look forward to the amazing future that’s ahead!

Gianna is a sophomore at the University of Connecticut studying Communication. She enjoys shopping, getting coffee, and taking pictures (mostly of her dog)! Gianna enjoys writing about anything from fashion, to music, or relatable lifestyle content specifically for college aged women. In her future Gianna hopes to start a career in public relations and/or marketing. She has always had a passion for writing and believes that HerCampus is an incredible outlet for other women with the same passion! In her free time Gianna loves spending time with friends, staying active, and taking millions of sunset pictures.