Here’s Why You Should Love Amber Rose, Not Shame Her

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Amber Rose has repeatedly entered the spotlight because of her past relationships with Kanye West and Wiz Khalifa, including when she defended herself against Kanye’s comments in his recent Twitter rampage.  Kanye refers to Amber Rose as “a stripper” that “trapped” Wiz with a baby and tells Wiz that he owns his child.  Basically, Kanye was being a hater and degraded Amber for being a stripper.    

Amber Rose deserves to be known for much more than her connections to the men she’s dated: here are some reasons why she could be your latest feminist icon.

1. In an interview at The Breakfast Club, Charlamagne Tha God asks her if it’ll be harder for her to get back together with Wiz Khalifa if she sleeps around.  She explains that she’s going to sleep with who she wants to and doesn’t care how anyone feels about it. (26:25 – 27:08)

2. On the show “It’s Not You, It’s Men,” Amber explains that it doesn’t matter what a woman is wearing: no means no, and consent must be granted before any sexual intercourse. 

3. Rose put together the 2015 Amber Rose SlutWalk in Los Angeles, giving out clear messages like “My Clothes Are Not My Consent.”

4. She posed as feminist icons for Paper Magazine and looked incredible.  

Amber Rose as Susan B. Anthony for Paper Magazine

5.  She rocks her own unique style: a platinum blonde shaved head, a look many women aren’t brave enough to try.  She’s comfortable in her own body despite having a body type that is less celebrated in the media.

Amber Rose stunning at the 2014 MTV VMAs

6.  She began stripping at 18 to help support her family in the Bronx, and she knows she doesn’t have to apologize for that.

7. She can turn an enemy into a friend: although she claims Kanye cheated on her with Kim, Rose said she doesn’t have any animosity towards either of them and only wants to empower women.  Kim & Amber even posed for a selfie together.

8. THEN, in 2015, she slayed the MTV VMA red carpet with Blac Chyna while sporting a body suit that gave a powerful message against slut shaming slurs.  Other members of her crew had homophobic slurs written all over their outfits.

9. On the podcast “Guys We F****d,” Amber says she identifies as bisexual and believes people can love anyone.  Listen to the full interview to hear her opinions on sexual assault, slut shaming, and Bill Cosby.

We’re excited to find out how else Amber Rose will use her celebrity platform to combat slut shaming and empower women.

Katherine Eastman, UConn class of 2017 -studying journalism and WGSS