This is her “Revival”: Selena Gomez’s New Album

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

As some of you may know, Selena Gomez recently released her new album, Revival; marking her comeback into the music industry, replacing her traditional Disney pop music with darker, more suggestive lyrics (and an explicit album cover).

To sum up the album in 3 words (and in Selena’s own words), the album is empowering, inspirational, and fun. Before you make any assumptions or judgements, there are songs in the album that are seriously worth checking out. And ladies, this is coming from one of the biggest Miley Cyrus fans (cue the Selena vs. Miley disputes back in their Disney days) that was, let’s just say, not the biggest fan of Selena back then.

But…this album may have just changed my opinion on her and I’ve hand picked a few of the songs that I have had on repeat on my fall playlist that you all need to check out:

“Revival”

Favorite Lyric: I’m reborn in every moment, so who knows what I’ll become

“Perfect”

Favorite Lyric: Maybe I should be more like her, I can taste her lipstick, it’s like I’m kissing her, too, and she’s perfect

“Nobody”

Favorite Lyric: I don’t know what it is, but you’ve pulled me; No one compares, could ever begin to love me like you do

“Sober”

Favorite Lyric: Why is it so different when we wake up? Same lips, same kiss, but not the same touch

“Hands to Myself”

Favorite Lyric: Can’t keep my hands to myself, I mean I could, but why would I want to?

Okay, so maybe half the songs are about Justin Bieber, but that’s what makes this album so relatable! With this album Selena has proved that she has grown up and she has found a way to connect with her adolescent audience as her songs offer wisdom about moving on from a broken heart, finding support from friends, and just having fun! So grab a friend and jam (or mellow) out to this new Selena and new sound of hers. Afterall, this is her revival.

Gloria is the Marketing Co-Director for Her Campus UConn. She is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is a sucker for corny jokes, probably knows a little too much about celebrities, and is a big foodie.