Help Save The Planet With These Zero Waste Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Have you ever thought about going green but don’t know where to start? I was never an eco-conscious person for a lot of the same reasons as others: getting started actually takes effort. Going (almost) zero waste doesn’t need to be dreadful or another thing on your procrastination to-do list. With the tips I am about to share, you will wish you started sooner!

1. Opt for reusables

If you are a college student you are probably carrying around a trendy Hydroflask, right? Well, that’s reusable! Since you’re already off to a great start, why stop there? There are tons of reusable options, so why don’t we make a small list below?

• Shopping bags — stores nowadays make it super easy to purchase reusable bags, or you can just bring your own if you have them.
  • Utensils — as a college student, it’s probably way easier to use plastic cutlery, but using washable, reusable cutlery reduces your waste.
  • Straws — okay, I’m a straw girl, but I hate paper straws because of the texture. My alternative? Silicon straws!
  • Cleaning — instead of using paper towels and other regular cleaning products, try going for microfiber cloths and a natural cleaning solution.
  • Food storage — if you decide to bring your own lunch, opt for silicone sandwich and snack bags that can be washed and reused!
  • Cooking — I’m a total sweets lover but got super tired of spending money on cupcake liners. Not only did switching to silicon, washable liners save me money, but I also get to make cupcakes more often now!
  • Hygiene products — try opting for cotton pads, menstrual cups, and if you are a mom, cloth diapers!
  • Laundry — opt for natural products or switch from dryer sheets to wool dryer balls.
  • Makeup — of course, we love our local Ulta and Sephora, but try exploring some new makeup companies that focus on zero waste!

If you made it to the bottom of the list, congratulations! I hope you found a few tips you could try out for yourself. Going (almost) zero waste doesn’t need to be a chore and there are so many different options than what I just listed. Do a Google search and find something that works well for you! :)

2. Buy local

Who doesn’t love shopping? Better yet, who doesn’t love shopping AND supporting a small business? When you buy locally, you reduce your waste by limiting the emissions caused by getting your item to sent to your doorstep or reducing the emissions during the production of your item from a large, name-brand store. When you buy food locally you are helping a farmer’s business significantly (no farms, no food!), and you are also getting the healthiest, unprocessed food possible! Buying local is a huge step to reducing your waste, but it is also super beneficial for your wallet and health, too!

3. Choose school supplies carefully

I’m a total last-minute shopper when it comes to school supplies and I get it, every aisle of Target is full of plastic folders, pens, and notebooks. Staples is right down the road, too! Of course, when it comes to school supplies there are some items you cannot avoid buying like your required items list, but there are sustainable options for your non-necessity supplies!

Here are some things to try purchasing next time:

• Recyclable or compostable pencils — check out Sprout pencils! They contain seeds and you can plant the pencil and grow your own plant! Oh, and did I mention they make makeup pens, too?
  • Eco-friendly notebooks
  • iPad — this has been a lifesaver from ever having to buy notebooks and pens again!
  • Recyclable folders
  • Opt for the e-textbook

These are just some of the many options out there for you to try! I personally love using my iPad but I also have reused the same plastic folders for years!

4. Cut back on transportation

To keep it short and simple:

• Ride your bike
  • Walk
  • Carpool
  • Utilize public transportation

Of course, if you are like me and commute 30 minutes to school, then this might not be totally feasible. When meeting up with friends, see if you can carpool together instead of taking separate cars!

5. Recycle and compost

Recycling and composting are both excellent ways to reduce paper or food waste. Believe it or not, you don’t have to live in the country or have a farm to compost! Try an in-house composter like the one below!

Recycling is made easy, especially on college campuses, with recycling bins everywhere. Some states even pay YOU to recycle! What better way to help the planet than while getting paid? When shopping, opt for recyclable options to reduce your waste, or shop at stores that implement recyclables into their products.

Happy saving the planet :)

Tia Burton

U Conn '24

Tia is a junior at the University of Connecticut studying animal science and pre-veterinary studies. Outside of writing, Tia enjoys riding horses, reading, or binging Netflix.