Hailey Bieber Addresses Jelena, Fame, Mental Health, & Sex on ‘Call Her Daddy’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Hailey Bieber recently went on Alex Cooper’s podcast, Call Her Daddy, where she talked all things style, sex life with Justin, as well as the ongoing drama and hate surrounding their relationship. She started off the podcast discussing how she normally dresses for comfort, rather than anything else, and if she could trade closets with any one of her friends it would be Kylie Jenner. She then goes on into some juicer topics, such as dealing with the endless fame and the hate she receives, as well as clearing the air to many “Jelena” fans questions…

Hailey on dealing with fame

Alex asked the question of how Hailey is able to deal with the endless paparazzi, as to which she responds with the fact that she deals with it everyday— every time she leaves her house, or any other place. She’s pretty much used to it at this point, however, there are times when she is so fed up that she gets the urge to “get out of the car with a baseball bat and literally destroy their cars.” Yet, she does not want to give anyone the power to disturb her energy and her peace. When asked whether she has a hard time trusting people, Hailey replied with the fact that she’s more of a “people person” and therefore has the tendency to trust people until they do something to prove her wrong. She does however have a hard time getting super close to just anyone, but she mentioned that she can be “cool” with almost anyone. Hailey admitted that she has never been good with confrontation, and thinks she shouldn’t waste her breath on anything that will end up getting her nowhere, but will always stick up for herself if necessary.

Hailey on her marriage with justin

Hailey begins by explaining what she meant when she said that marriage is hard work by saying that any relationship can be— even friendships, family, etc., as you are trying to mesh two completely different lives together and balance your life and spending time with them as well as everyone else. Hailey began gushing about her hubby by saying that the best parts about marriage is spending your life with your best friend. She said that Justin has the “kindest, sweetest heart,” but it can be hard at times being married to someone who is so famous and has been famous for the majority of his life. It’s hard for her not to talk about Justin ever because he is her life. Hailey mentions that some of the hate that surrounds their relationship comes from the fact that they got married so young and quick, however, the timing was correct for the both of them, and she is incredibly happy that she did get married when she was ready to.

Timeline of their relationship

We now get to the point in the podcast we were all waiting for. Although they never explicitly say Selena’s name, it is very easy to assume that the “ex” in question is in fact her. Hailey denies the rumor that her and Justin were ever romantically involved while him and Selena were a couple right off the bat. She discusses the timeline of her engagement overlapping with him “spending time with his ex.” She admitted it looked bad from the outside on her part, but explains that she knew it was the right thing for them to do to be able to “close the door on their relationship” which she actually respected a lot. (Sorry Jelena fans!) It helped Justin to come back with Hailey stronger than ever and be ready for their next chapter: marriage. This move actually helped Hailey be okay and know everything was finished with Justin and Selena, which she said was the most healthy and mature thing he could have done. So no, Hailey is not a “home-wrecker,” Justin was only doing what would be best for him, and his relationship with Hailey.

The Hate Hailey RECEIVES

Hailey talked about the hate she still to this day receives for being married to Justin Bieber. She says it is extremely hard to talk about it, which is why she never does, because it gives her anxiety and makes her incredibly uncomfortable. She was very squirmy in her seat, showing how uncomfortable she truly was while discussing this. She said that people on the internet say that she “stole” Justin from Selena, but she has in fact become numb to all of it, since she deals with it almost daily. Although it is less now, it still happens. Hailey said she is sick of people always comparing her to his ex, and thinks everything stems from the question “why her?” Hailey did say that she was incredibly grateful for the people that embraced her as his wife, and were extremely supportive of their relationship. She said that for so long she felt she could not be herself during interviews or at any point because people didn’t know her true self and how she actually was. She has learned how to deal with things much better after it going on for almost 4 years, but still cannot believe it has even gone on for that long!

2021 met gala red carpet

Alex asked Hailey to talk about the incident which happened on the 2021 Met Gala Red Carpet. She denied any rumors that the fans made her cry and said that she simply had something in her eye, and the timing was mere coincidence. She did not even realize that all of these Jelena fans were screaming at her (whether they were chanting Selena’s name or Jelena is still unclear to her) until after when she was rewatching videos of the red carpet. She put her sunglasses on because they were part of her look, which she laughed at the absurdity of that assumption in the interview. She could not believe that people actually waited to get seats on the red carpet only to do that to her. She ended that discussion with the comment, “Another day another negative slay.” (Unbothered queen!)

Mental health

She admitted that no one can exist with everyone in the world loving you, there will always be people who dislike you for whatever reason, but most people only hate on you to get your attention. She goes into the very difficult topic of her mental health. She admitted that she had gone into such a horrible place emotionally which caused her to not want to be here anymore. She was luckily able to get out of that headspace, but she gave the advice that once you get out of that place you need an incredible support system who will help you move forward.

Hailey also said that she is learning to be more gentle with herself, not be as harsh because everyone is going through different things but you cannot invalidate your feelings and tell yourself that your problems are nothing compared to others, it’s not fair to yourself. She can be shy at times because she is emotionally guarded. She learned from a young age through watching her mom go through certain things while avoiding confrontation, so she is trying to un-learn this learned behavior.

Alex asked Hailey what she would say to Selena’s fans, and she responded with, “You are not obligated to like me, but you also don’t have to say anything to me. I am a person too, just have mutual respect and some decency.” She also wanted people to know that what they say does have an impact on others, and she even said that “we probably have more in common than you actually think.” Before you hate on people, get to know how they are actually like.

Final comments on jelena situation

Hailey answered another incredibly pressing question, which was “Have you and [Selena] spoken recently?” As to which she admitted that they had spoken since her and Justin got married, and she says “it’s all love, they can all walk away from it knowing that they’re good.” She also added that they owe each other nothing but respect, and that the media and everyone is trying to create this separation and spread a false narrative, but Hailey admitted she has respect for Selena and now she can find peace in the situation. So there you have it, the rumors and questions have all been put to rest, and of course there are two sides to every story, however, neither Justin nor Selena have commented on Hailey’s response, and I’m honestly not sure they ever will.

Bieber’s sex life!

Even after all of that, the podcast continued, but in a very different direction. Alex changed the subject to ask Hailey about her sex life with her husband, and Hailey was not shy during this conversation. She said she preferred night sex, but enjoyed morning sex as well and even admitted her favorite position was doggy style! They got to a deeper level, however, and said that she would not be “down for a threesome” and she didn’t think Justin necessarily would be either. She believed it wouldn’t work for the two of them. When asked what their biggest turn-ons were she said that kissing was hers, and connection was his, (how sweet!).

Final thoughts and comments from mrs. bieber

Hailey finished up the conversation with Alex by telling everyone that it was very important to go out and vote! “There is always an opportunity for change.” Especially for women right now with the over turning of Roe v Wade, we are in a scary state, and change starts at the local government, which most people do not realize. Alex asked her about whether or not she discusses politics with her family, and she admitted that her and her family realized they were unable to talk about their views because it did more harm than good for them, and if that is something that is not healthy, it’s okay to avoid it.

At the end of the conversation, she was happy that she pushed herself to be uncomfortable because she ended up talking about things which needed to be discussed and clear the air on certain things. So Hailey going on the Call Her Daddy podcast cleared the air for anyone who was confused on the timeline of her relationship, and detailed the immense hate which she was getting because of it. It was very respectable to be able to talk about this difficult topic and touch on things like mental health. Although I have no hope that Hailey and Selena will ever become besties, it is good that there is no beef and all love between them. Super mature on everyone’s end!

Check out the episode below!

Rachel is a sophomore studying Philosophy with a minor in Crime and Justice at the University of Connecticut. She's probably listening to One Direction, or referencing "Friends" or "The Office".