Lindsay Thompson-Neon Sign Where You Need To Be Miami Bar Inspiration
Lindsay Thompson / Her Campus
Style > Fashion

Going Out? Here’s What You Need.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Let’s face it, you’ve started college and you feel you need a new wardrobe. We’ve all been there, struggling to put together an outfit we feel comfortable in, while still looking good. Well, I’m here to tell you that a new wardrobe is definitely not necessary or cost-effective. Whether you’re going to a friend’s apartment, the bar, or a themed party, a few basics can go a long way. Even as clothing trends come in and out of style, here are some necessities that will make picking out an outfit 10 times easier.

Versatile Jeans

While I love a pair of bell bottoms or even patchwork denim, having a classic pair of go-to jeans is a must. Picking a light or medium wash will pair well with any top. A relaxed, straight-leg silhouette looks good on almost anyone. Brands like Levi’s are bringing back the popular low-rise jean trend which originated in the 1960s with their popular Low Pro Women’s Jeans. These are a casual pair of jeans that would work for a night out or even walking to class. Brands like Zara offer a plethora of jeans with subtle details, elevating them from your basic everyday pair. These Mid-Rise TRF Cargo Jeans will pair well with any top, yet the embellished pockets and side details create a unique pair of pants. It is important to invest in a pair of quality denim that never goes out of style. Having a dark pair of jeans in your rotation is always a good idea. Typically, lighter-wash denim is preferred for a more casual look, whereas dark jeans often appear dressier and can be the perfect choice for a night out. If black jeans aren’t your cup of tea, the Abercrombie & Fitch Vegan Leather 90s Relaxed Pant is the perfect bottom for a sleek look.

Corset Tops

If you’re like me, you probably have the Urban Outfitters Modern Love Corset or a similar style hanging in your closet. Having one or two corset tops is definitely a good idea when curating a wardrobe perfect for going out. Throughout the history of fashion, we have seen corset tops come in and out of style and the trend definitely isn’t disappearing anytime soon. Why are they so popular? Corset tops create a flattering silhouette, emphasizing natural curves. With baggy jeans becoming more popular, a fitted corset pairs well. While I love wearing color, I am a strong advocate for darker-colored tops when going out. In crowded rooms, you never know what drinks might spill onto your clothing. Princess Polly’s Archette Corset Vest is a simple yet polished top that is perfect for a bar scene or you can dress it up with an oversized blazer or leather jacket for a nice dinner. Princess Polly’s Giorgi Lace Corset, photographed above, is another versatile option.

Long Sleeved Tops

I can’t tell you how many times this past winter I searched for a long-sleeved top that was still cute to wear out. While most likely it will be warm wherever you end up, walking to a party from your dorm or standing outside in the winter is certainly not. Fitted long-sleeve tops, with the addition of an open back, are becoming increasingly popular. The Haven Open Back Top by Edikted is an affordable option in a variety of colors. Free People has perfected the long sleeve with their Low-Back Seemless Long Sleeve Top and Duo Long Sleeve Corset Cami. These fitted tops have the appearance of a body suit with their flattering seamless design. Not only are these options comfortable, but they can also be perfect for a daytime event or dressed down. While it might not be the warmest option, lace tops are great for layering and give you the ability to create multiple looks. This Aerie Level-Up Lace Layering T-Shirt is not only affordable but wearing a different undershirt or bra will create an entirely new look.

Don’t Overlook JEWELRY

I think it’s easy to overlook jewelry and accessories, and college students don’t normally bring a purse out with them. Pairing your outfit with jewelry is an effortless way to elevate an outfit. Bracelet stacks are becoming more popular, mixing a few thicker bracelets with more delicate pieces creates the perfect combination. The Mykonos Bracelet by Evry Jewels is a stack containing three bracelets of various sizes that could be worn on their own or could easily be added to existing bracelets. While slightly more expensive, Enewton offers quality sterling silver and gold-filled jewelry options that won’t tarnish, perfect for everyday wear. If you’re wearing a halter top or a high-neck top, I would recommend wearing either no necklace or a simple one and playing around with your earrings. Madewell’s Freshwater Peral Front Facing Gold Earrings are a fun option to dress up a going-out outfit, yet still can be worn every day. Playing around with mixed metals and pearls is becoming more and more popular.

Incorporating a few of these timeless pieces in your wardrobe creates a variety of outfit options when going out. Playing around with layers such as lace tops can allow you to make a completely new outfit and a pair of good quality jeans could last you through college. While many of these options are great because they provide versatility and can be worn regularly, don’t be afraid to get creative! You never know when you will be attending a themed party, so having a few Hawaiian shirts, flannels, and beanies on hand is never a bad idea!

Veronica is a sophomore at the University of Connecticut. She enjoys writing about a variety of different topics including style, health and wellness and current news stories. Beyond Her Campus, Veronica is an active member in various clubs and organizations. She enjoys taking yoga classes, traveling, grabbing coffee and listening to all genres of music.