From Stevie Nicks To The Eagles: My Ultimate Guide To 70s Music

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

I love listening to music of all genres. On any given day, I could be listening to classical orchestras, rap, rock n’ roll, or modern pop hits. There’s so much music out there, and it’s impossible to crown one singular decade as the “best” of music. I’ve noticed, however, that almost all of my favorite artists and bands stem from the 1970s. This period was a tumultuous time, and it forever changed the music industry with the emergence of modern rock. Below, I’ve created my ultimate guide to help you dive into the 1970s. Get ready to listen!

1. Eagles

The Eagles released their first studio album in 1972, filled with personal favorites such as “Take It Easy,” “Witchy Woman,” “Nightingale,” and “Peaceful Easy Feeling.” It’s easily one of the best debut albums I’ve ever heard. Filled with impressive harmonies, the Eagles hit their country-rock fusion in stride.

While Desperado (1973) falls flat for me, the band’s third studio album On the Border (1974) delves fully into rock and brings back the energy. The band shines with “Already Gone” and “On the Border,” which might be my favorite Eagles song of all time. Sung by Don Henley, the funk rock song is inspired by the Watergate scandal.

Finally, it would be impossible to talk about the Eagles without mentioning the hyper-popular “Hotel California” from their 1976 album. Is it a great song? Yes. Do I prefer listening to the epic, harmony-filled “One of These Nights”? Also, yes.

2. Fleetwood mac

No other band has gone through as much drama (and band member changes) as Fleetwood Mac! After Lindsay Buckingham and Stevie Nicks joined the band, they hit their stride with Fleetwood Mac (1975) and Rumors (1977), which won the 1978 Grammy for Album of the Year. Stevie Nicks has one of the most incredible voices in music history, and Lindsay Buckingham is both a skilled vocalist and an extremely admirable guitarist. Combined with the talents of Christine McVie, John McVie, and Mick Fleetwood, the band was truly unstoppable during the 1970s.

I would do anything to go back in time to the band’s 1975 performance at the University of Connecticut, but I was lucky enough to see Stevie Nicks live in concert in 2023, and it was an experience I’ll never forget! Some of my favorite songs by the band include: “Rhiannon,” “Landslide,” “Gold Dust Woman,” “Sara,” “Gypsy,” “That’s Alright,” “Can’t Go Back,” and “Little Lies.” While Fleetwood Mac was at their height in the 1970s, their music spans so many decades and genres.

3. Aerosmith

One of the first bands I remember my dad playing for me as a child (after the Beatles, of course) was Aerosmith. I was so obsessed with Aerosmith that I had to download all their albums on my iPod Nano. The band released their self-titled debut album in 1973, featuring the legendary “Dream On.” Their second album, Get Your Wings (1974), produced “Same Old Song and Dance,” and Toys In The Attic (1975) garnered hits such as “Sweet Emotion” and “Walk This Way,” integrating rock and blues with Steven Tyler’s signature swagger. There’s nothing like Tyler’s voice — his screams somehow always sound fantastic — and so many of the band’s songs push the genre of rock. Aerosmith does it all: pop, hard rock, metal, blues, and even a little hip-hop. While some of my favorite Aerosmith albums came later (Permanent Vacation, Get a Grip, Nine Lives), it’s impossible to talk about the 1970s without mentioning their influence!

4. Blondie

Debbie Harry is an absolute icon of the 1970s and 1980s. Just like Stevie Nicks, her influence on women in the music industry cannot be stressed enough. As the face of Blondie, Debbie Harry trailblazed women’s place in rock with her powerhouse voice, authentic self-expression, and unmistakable swagger. The band’s self-titled debut was released in 1976, embracing a variety of styles such as rock, disco, reggae, hip-hop, and pop. My favorite songs on the album include “X Offender” and “Rip Her to Shreds.” Also in the late 70s, Blondie released iconic songs such as “One Way Or Another,” “Heart of Glass,” “Hanging On The Telephone,” and “Atomic.” Blondie has influenced a wide range of artists throughout the years, including Madonna, Lady Gaga, Paramore, Miley Cyrus, and Pat Benatar.

Fun fact: Blondie’s “Rapture” became the first single featuring a rap verse to reach number one in the U.S.A.

5. Heart

Check out this performance from 2002!

Of course, I had to mention Heart — an energetic rock band featuring the powerhouse vocals of sisters Ann and Nancy Wilson. The band’s debut album, Dreamboat Annie (1975), is filled with so many incredible songs. Some are expressions of female rage and passion, while others are whimsical, funky, or fueled by head-banging guitar riffs. My favorite songs on the album include “Magic Man,” “Crazy On You,” and “Dreamboat Annie.” I highly recommend checking out some of the band’s live performances on YouTube. The Wilson sisters balance one another’s voices so well — especially live! I just love that they helped create a space for women to feel all of their feelings.

conclusion

It’s impossible to sum up an entire decade of music in just one article. There are so many other incredible artists (Led Zeppelin, ABBA, AC/DC, Queen) that I could have mentioned. However, it’s clear that these five bands both influenced the 1970s music scene and have left enormous, lasting impressions on the entire music industry as a whole. No other decade does it like the 70s!

Chloé Hummel is the President and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UConn. Chloé enjoys writing articles that help advance the goals of intersectional feminism. She also works as a marketing assistant for Globe Pequot Press in Essex, CT. In her spare time, Chloé enjoys yoga, pilates, and reading fantasy books. She is a passionate vegan, a 70s music enthusiast, and a poor piano player.