Following My Gut: Ranking Olivia Rodrigo’s Sophomore Album, ‘GUTS’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

This is an unreal release.

Olivia Rodrigo has created an incredibly emotional and relatable album for teenagers this upcoming
fall. After just under 20 hours of having this album under my belt, I feel confident enough to
rank the entire thing. Every song on the album is killer, but which ones stand out the most?

12. get him back!

Rodrigo follows a clear theme throughout her sophomore album which is similar enough to Avril
Lavigne. She has an almost pop-punk/alternative rock vibe to her more upbeat songs this time
around. This song follows Rodrigo wanting to get back at her ex (don’t we all?). The lyric: “He
said he’s six-foot-two and I’m, like, ‘Dude, nice try’” is one of the most relatable for any teenage
girl trying to find a boyfriend…

11. love is embarrassing

Almost every person who has been in a relationship and gotten over an ex has asked themselves
“why?” This song explains Rodrigo’s experience with just that. Navigating love, especially as a
younger individual, is incredibly difficult and comes with a lot of learning curves. As Miss
Rodrigo says, “Just watch as I crucify myself / For some weird second string / Loser who’s not
worth mentioning.”

10. bad idea right?

This song was the second single to come out of GUTS. The reaction was mixed, from being a
really fun song, to being a little too out there. I think this song was the perfect single because it
showcased the rest of the album perfectly: fun.

9. vampire

Vampire was the first single to come out of this album. The similarities between “vampire” and
the first single off of Rodrigo’s debut album, “driver’s license” are uncanny. They are both highly
emotionally driven and theatrical. The man Rodrigo has rumored to have written this album
about is showcased as a “liar” which this song clearly conveys: “You’re so convincing/ How do
you lie without flinching?”

8. logical

This song is rumored to be about ex-boyfriend, Zack Bia. Bia is notorious for being exactly the
kind of partner that “logical” describes. Manipulation is a clear theme within this ballad, while
also focusing on self reflection and self-blame. Not only that, but also regret: “Oh, why do I do
this?”.

7. all-american bitch

What an opening song this is. This pop-punk, head banging song was the perfect way to open her
sophomore album. It imitates “brutal” from her first album in the sense that it is
freeing, open, and fun. This song focuses on the idealistic views of women in society and how
Rodrigo feels that she is not the perfect American woman: “I got class and integrity / Just like a
goddamn Kennedy, I swear.”

6. teenage dream

This closing ballad is one to remember. Rodrigo goes on to talk about what it has been like to
grow up in the spotlight as a teenager throughout the years. She talks about the fear of losing the
best parts of herself as she grows up, “When am I gonna stop being wise beyond my years and
just start being wise?”

5. ballad of a homeschooled girl

I cannot be the only one surprised when I heard the opening notes to this song. Having “ballad” in
the title was almost ironic, as this song was not a ballad at all. This song is for the over thinkers
and the social anxiety girls. “I made it weird, I made it worse / Each time I step outside, it’s social
suicide.” There is nothing better than feeling seen and heard.

4. pretty isn’t pretty

Being a woman in today’s society is so difficult and this song reveals exactly what Rodrigo
thinks about that. Comparable to her song “brutal,” Rodrigo explores societal expectations of
teenage girls and why it is so hard to keep up.

3. lacy

Whether this song is about Gracie Abrams, Sabrina Carpenter, or Madison Beer, this song is one
of the most incredible Rodrigo has ever written. Her voice shifts from verse to verse in angelic
ways, mimicking the character “lacy” whom she has become obsessed with. “I despise my
jealous eyes and how hard they fell for you.”

2. the grudge

Anyone who is a fan of Olivia Rodrigo is also a fan of Taylor Swift. Swift is known for moving
on from controversy, while still never forgetting or forgiving. This song presents this idea
thoroughly. “But you know I can’t let it go, I’ve tried, I’ve tried, I’ve tried for so long / It takes
strength to forgive, but I don’t feel strong.” This song exhibits conflicting emotions about one’s
relationship and the hardships one goes through while trying to “move on.”

1. making the bed

This song deserves the number one spot due to its candidness and vulnerability. It takes a lot for
someone to be aware that they have to deal with the consequences of their own actions; “making
the bed” is the analogy Rodrigo uses for this throughout the song. “Well, sometimes I feel like I
don’t wanna be where I am / Gettin’ drunk at a club with my fair-weather friends.” Everyone has
those friends who are only with you when it’s convenient for them. This is by far one of her
most relatable, candid, and genuine songs to date.

Conclusion

Olivia Rodrigo truly outdid herself with this album. Although there are some mixed reviews (including some regarding whether or not SOUR was better or worse), the general public thinks this album is a hit. Will it be a Grammy award-winning album? Only time will tell.

Sophia Pirrotta is a Sophomore at The University of Connecticut studying Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences with a minor in Human Development and Family Studies. She is working to pursue a career in Speech Pathology. When she is not writing articles, she is playing piano, dancing, singing (not very well), watching Formula 1, and reading. She posts on Goodreads every single day without fail (@sophiapirrotta).