Fleet Street’s Newest Stars Take The Stage

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

A dark comedy loved by many, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street is a hit musical on Broadway currently featuring a star-studded leading cast. Following the departure of Josh Groban and Annaleigh Ashford, broadway stars Aaron Tveit and Sutton Foster took the stage for the first time as Sweeney Todd and Mrs. Lovett on Feb. 9. Prior to that, on Jan. 31, Heartstopper celebrity Joe Locke also made his debut as Tobias Ragg. But how are these performers currently doing in their roles? Everyone has their own interpretation, so I’ve decided to share my thoughts below on the freshest faces of Fleet Street.

Aaron Tveit

Aaron Tveit is a vocal powerhouse who’s gone viral on TikTok for his astounding opt-up in Moulin Rouge. He’s gone viral for good reason, and he’s a hit with the current theatergoing crowd because of his incredible vocals. However, his voice doesn’t exactly fit the role of Todd. In order to successfully play the role, an actor requires a baritone voice that’s very deep, dark, and rich. While Tveit is amazing, he’s more of a tenor, which is above a baritone. This makes him too high-pitched to play his character. In fact, the orchestra had to accommodate this by changing the key of the songs he performed. However, criticism aside, he is an incredible actor and his skills really come to light in this role. I appreciate his choices made in the show, such as his maniacal laughter, which portrays the insanity of his character. The craziness of Sweeney Todd is very important to the show as a whole, so I believe Tveit is overall a wonderful addition to the cast and brings a lot of great decisions to the role. I would prefer a baritone in this role, but Tveit is still a great substitute.

Sutton Foster

Sutton Foster is a Broadway phenomenon who has performed in many showstoppers throughout her career. Thoroughly Modern Millie, Anything Goes, Shrek…the list goes on. She is loved by many in the Broadway world, and everyone was just as excited as I was when she announced her debut in this show. Many were shocked, however, by the direction she took with her character. She uses a funny, yet unserious tone while singing and acting, which doesn’t display her full talent. Her vocal choices left people confused, wondering why such a talented actress would take the character in an unserious direction. Personally, I am not the biggest fan of this interpretation, but Foster has the potential to do very well in this role once she fully understands her audience. I appreciate her attempts to make the audience laugh, but some of her humor choices don’t land, at least not at the moment. Once she figures out which jokes do well with the audience, I have confidence she will fully succeed. Although I prefer other interpretations of the character, she is outstanding and I can appreciate the unique route she took with this role.

Joe Locke

Joe Locke is best known for his role as Charlie Spring in the TV show Heartstopper, a very feel-good show. Though his new role is very different in many ways, he is an incredible addition to the show. His predecessor, Gaten Matarazzo of Stranger Things, left some big shoes to fill, and Locke has successfully done so. His voice is wonderful: he’s especially talented at hitting the high notes in “Not While I’m Around,” as well as keeping the rhythm and pace in his other songs. He has a strong belting voice as well as the momentum to keep up. He’s a very good fit for the character, who is meant to be street-smart. He’s got wit and a good sense of humor, which plays well into what the role requires. He is an example of a great stunt casting choice since he has the talent and capability to successfully play the role.

Final thoughts

Despite my critiques, these three are great performers who add a lot of depth to the story through their acting and singing choices. I respect their unique takes on each of their respective characters, even if other audience members may have different opinions. It’s not easy being a Broadway performer: it takes a lot of blood, sweat, and tears. I admire their ability to go up on stage and perform eight shows a week. As someone who’s performed in shows before, it is definitely a high-energy workout that deserves to be respected. If you’re in the New York City area, you should check out the show. I promise you won’t be disappointed!

Alexa Malerba is a chapter member at Her Campus at UConn. She enjoys writing about theatre, music, and beauty. Beyond Her Campus, Alexa works part-time as a sales associate at Bob's Stores while in her hometown. She is also a student blogger for BroadwayWorld, a national theatre news website. She is currently a freshman at the University of Connecticut with an undecided major. In her free time, Alexa enjoys sleeping, listening to music, and spending time with friends. She also has a passion for traveling, with her favorite destinations being Disney World and Wildwood, NJ.