5 Horror Movies To Spook You This Halloween Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

If you’re anything like me and love to watch horror movies, there’s no better time to binge-watch them than in October. I used not to be a fan of scary movies at all until I was about 16 years old (and I still try to watch them while it’s still light out), but I found out about how many great movies I was missing out on when I started getting into them. Also, whether or not you’re a believer in the paranormal, my favorites are based on actual events and have compelling lore and backstories. Here are five of my favorite horror movies to help get you in the mood for the spookiest time of the year.

1. It (2017)

Clowns never used to bother me — until I watched this movie. I think it shows how good this movie is that it made me afraid of something that I never used to be scared of. This novel-turned-film adaptation inspired by author Stephen King is a must-watch this Halloween season. As much as I enjoy the original 1990 film, this remake has a fantastic production value that enhances the frightening experience. Not to mention, the movie’s cast includes stars like Finn Wolfhard and Sophia Lillis, which was a motivator for me to see this movie and makes it worth a rewatch.

2.The Conjuring (2017)

I’m still not sure if the fact that this movie is based on true events is fascinating or terrifying. Maybe a little bit of both. The two main characters and paranormal investigators in the movie, Ed and Lorraine Warren, are from Monroe, Connecticut, and the family’s house they are investigating in this movie is not too far away in Harrisville, Rhode Island. They kept a collection of haunted objects in their home, including the infamous Raggedy Ann doll nicknamed “Annabelle,” the inspiration for another great movie based on a true story. Whether you are a paranormal believer or skeptic, the spine-chilling suspense in this movie makes it perfect for celebrating spooky season.

3. Halloween (1978)

You’ll definitely be able to tell that I’m a fan of the classics by the end of this article. Starring Jamie Lee Curtis, this movie follows a town that is terrorized by the widely-known horror character Michael Myers. This movie will frustrate you more than anything, as there are many typical horror scenes of people being completely oblivious, trapping themselves as they’re trying to hide, leaving doors unlocked, and so on. The movie has since been turned into a franchise, with a total of 13 movies, the finale being released just last year. Of course, with a series of movies usually made reasonably fast, you unfortunately get lower production quality. Yet the story of these films was intriguing to the point that I have watched all 13 movies, and the original film is such a classic film that it deserves to be in the rotation of scary movies to watch this season.

4.The Shining (1980)

I don’t think I was ever the same again after watching this classic movie. This other Stephen King novel-turned-film is inspired by The Stanley Hotel, located in Estes Park, Colorado. This hotel has allegedly been a site of paranormal activity and has attracted thousands of visitors for that reason, including YouTubers Shane Dawson and Danny Gonzalez. The movie doesn’t contain many jumpscares (which I appreciate), but it still will have chills running down your spine. The creepiness of the enormous, empty hotel and the series of strange events will keep you on the edge of your seat while watching.

5.Scream (1996)

Last but not least, this star-studded horror movie and franchise will not disappoint this Halloween season. Another popular horror character, Ghostface, stalks high school students played by Courtney Cox, Neve Campbell, and Drew Barrymore, using made-up horror movies as a game. This franchise has a total of six movies, the most recent installment coming out earlier this year, that follow the terrifying and intriguing story of these high schoolers as they get older, and Ghostface continues the game through multiple generations. Many have most likely already seen the first film, but continuing the highly-rated franchise is surely worth the binge in October.

So, whether you are a horror movie fanatic or want to get into the genre, consider these favorites of mine when deciding what to watch. I also wanted to add that these movies can contain scenes that could be startling to some, especially if you are new to the genre, so I recommend the site Does the Dog Die to check for subject matter and/or scenes (typically without any spoilers) that could be upsetting. It’s best to watch any horror movie with a group of friends and turn a night-in into a scary movie marathon complete with Halloween candy and other fall treats to elevate this spooky month of October, and hopefully, it will be one that is on this list!

Sam Giuliano

U Conn '24

Sam is a chapter member of the UConn chapter of Her Campus. She is in her senior year studying Political Science and is also a member of Pi Sigma Alpha, The National Political Science Honor Society. Articles she enjoys writing pertain to reading, TV shows and movies, music, and current social justice issues. In her free time you can find her reading, discovering new music, and rewatching Disney Channel shows and movies.