Style > Fashion

Fall Fashion: Clothing Staples You Need This Autumn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Every year around mid-September— as my tan starts to fade and the air gets a little crispier— I’m met with the welcoming presence of fall. I am part Vietnamese and when I am there, I look forward to a tradition called Trung Thu, in which citizens celebrate the harvest season and the emergence of autumn. When I am in America, I look forward to the tradition of getting pumpkin spice lattes and Halloween decorations. But the thing I anticipate the most is fall fashion.

So without further ado, here are the eight most important fall clothing pieces you need in your closet to look your best at this time of year.

1. Cashmere scarf

A very underrated clothing item that is not worn or discussed enough is definitely scarves. They are versatile, practical, and very chic.

2. Denim anything

Denim on denim might not be for everyone, but denim is a timeless item you can never go wrong with. Opt for a pair of wide-leg jeans or an oversized denim jacket next time you’re looking for an elevated casual look.

3. Motorcycle jacket

Motorcycle jackets have emerged and taken the fashion world by storm. This black leather one that rising supermodel Bella Hadid is wearing provides a touch of edge to a once simplistic outfit.

4. Quarter zip

Looking for an alternative to hoodies and sweatshirts? Quarter zips are great substitutions as they are a perfect blend of comfort and style. You can also use them as a base for layering over turtlenecks or button-downs, or wear them under cardigans or jackets. The possibilities are endless.

5. Platform boots

I’m a big fan of platform shoes because I become taller without the nuisance of actually wearing heels. These platform boots will give you extra height while maintaining comfort and style.

6. Workwear jacket

The drop in temperature can sometimes force people to buy jackets that are more functional instead of fashionable. But workwear jackets like the one depicted below will keep you warm and trendy this fall.

7. Trench coat

Maturing is realizing that you need a trench coat in your fall closet. There is something so enticing to me about throwing on a trench coat around this time of year. Wearing one will empower you and give you an extra boost of confidence. You can wear them over anything and it will give you a flare of elegance and professionalism. I highly recommend.

8. Midi skirt

The perfect ending to this list is a midi skirt. They are comfy, can be worn on any occasion, and come in all colors and fabrics. If you’re cold, wear a pair of tights under them to finish off your outfit.

I hope you enjoyed reading my article as much as I enjoyed writing it. Have a wonderful fall season!

Tina Ngo

U Conn '26

Tina is a freshman at the University of Connecticut studying real estate and urban economics. She loves spending time with her friends, going to the beach, and reading!