tailgate captions?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
tailgate captions?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Photo By Kampus Productions from Pexels

Everything I Learned During My Freshman Year At UConn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

College is such a fun and transformative time. Though many people told me this before moving onto UConn’s campus I did not fully realize how true it would be. For the first time, I was hundreds of miles from my family and adjusting to my new college schedule, while also meeting new people. Over the course of this school year, these are a few key things I have learned.

1. Join a Club

Though this may seem obvious, I have found that joining a club is a must in college. Though the club fair can be overwhelming, it was a great opportunity that led to me joining Her Campus. I was able to meet people who had similar interests to me while building experience for my dream career as an editor simply by joining a club. Though sports may be your thing rather than a club, finding a way to get active on campus in some capacity has only helped me adapt to campus life. So do not overlook things like clubs that will help you be more immersed in campus life!

2. Create a Schedule

In college, there can be gaps in between classes that make it hard to figure out what exactly to do with this open time. To help combat the confusion I had, I created a loose schedule to follow, allowing me to be more organized. I would pick a gap time to complete homework each day, and then have options of what to do for the other open times throughout my day. This included a balance of chores that needed to be done that week, and spending time on my hobbies like reading and drawing, depending on what I felt in the moment. Though some people may find this too intense and have good time management skills, for me, this kept me from forgetting about homework, laundry, and other tasks while also ensuring I had room to relax in the long gaps between classes.

3. Do Not be Afraid to reach Out

Entering college can be intimidating with thousands of new people. However, many people will feel similar to you, especially fellow freshmen. Though it was scary to reach out to others from a club, class, or even dorm floor, it was the way I made friends. By pushing a bit outside my comfort zone, I created great friends and never felt lonely. Though it may seem like the opposite, freshmen especially are also still finding their place, and many want to hang out — you just need to ask!

4. Do not be Afraid of Dorms

Though I know dorms are not the best living situations, they are also so much fun. For many who are able to, dorming on campus can be less money than attempting to find housing off-campus, so some may be able to save for apartments in the future. In addition, I found that everyone on my floor bonded extremely quickly and are people I see myself being friends with in the future, even though we may not be living near each other. I found a community through dorming, so if you are a freshman dorming and feel nervous, do not be because though there are some downsides, there are also endless benefits.

Even though I have only been at UConn for a year, I have already felt so at home and have experienced so much growth. Though I was nervous at first for what college will look like for me, I know as my time at UConn continues I will continue to grow, and I cannot wait for what my future at college holds.

Sophia is a freshman at the University of Connecticut studying Communication. She loves reading romance books, Dunkin' Donuts coffee, her two dogs, and listening to music.