Every Single Harry Styles Song, Ranked (Biased Fangirl Edition)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

I’ve tried very hard throughout my life to be “not like other girls.” But the truth is: I love Harry Styles. According to statsforspotify.com, Harry Styles is my fourth most listened-to artist. Considering One Direction fills the number two spot, it’s safe to say I have a tiny little obsession with the British singer. Out of sheer boredom and extreme jealousy for all of the “Love on Tour” concert-goers, I have decided to rank every single song by Mr. Harry Styles.

Before getting into the rankings, I want to clarify that this is based solely on my personal opinions, not the objective quality of the songs themselves. I’m sure by the time this is published I will have changed my opinions already anyway. Additionally, this ranking will be confined to the official album tracks from Styles’ three solo albums. That being said, I invite you to join me on this difficult and potentially controversial journey.

#35. Watermelon Sugar

Watermelon Sugar GIF by Harry Styles - Find & Share on GIPHY

Something had to go last, and ironically that something happens to be Harry’s only Grammy-winning track. I don’t have any problems with this song, but I’m simply not obsessed. This song is fun live, but I never seek it out on streaming. Add in the fact that it was extremely overplayed, it’s repetitive, and not exactly poetic, and “Watermelon Sugar” has landed itself in my last-place spot. 

#34. Meet Me in the Hallway

Sometimes I forget this song exists, which was enough to move it to the bottom of my list. It’s good for what it is, but it doesn’t stand out in the way that many of these songs do. Its pleading lyrics are one of my favorite aspects of this track, but their repetition becomes the song’s downfall for me. I like the verses as well, but I rarely have the desire to sit through the entire song to hear them.

#33. Cherry

I swear I like this song, but I love so many of the others. The reason “Cherry” falls so low on my ranking comes down to the voicemail and lack of super outstanding lyrics. I love this song’s instrumentals, but I have to be in a very specific mood to appreciate it. 

#32. Woman 

Harry Styles Behind The Album GIF by Apple Music - Find & Share on GIPHY

“Woman” is good. I enjoy listening to it — that is, when I remember to listen to it. The song has some good lyrics and cool instrumentals, but feels a bit empty despite all of it. If I ever got to see Styles in concert, this isn’t a song I’d be dying to see on the setlist.

#31. Sweet Creature

I really do love this song, but I’ve never found myself connecting with it on a deep level. I typically listen to it when I’ve been in the car for hours and can barely keep my eyes open, but besides that, I don’t find myself gravitating toward this track. 

#30. Two Ghosts

This is one of my favorite songs to sing the instrumental part, but again, it just doesn’t stand out as much as some of the others. The chorus is a bit repetitive and I always end up singing the “We don’t see what we used to see” at the wrong time. 

#29. Lights Up

Lights Up Music Video GIF by Sony - Find & Share on GIPHY

It’s hard for me to rank this song so low because it was the release of “Lights Up” that really made me a Harry Styles fan. I love the themes of confidence and addressing self-doubt that runs throughout this track. However, I definitely overplayed it when it first came out. This placement honestly comes down to the fact that I like other songs more.

#28. She

“She” is what “Woman” wanted to be and more. Its psychedelic sound, ambiguous vibe, and sick guitar solo make the song a cohesive, fun track. I absolutely love the interpretation that the song could be about a struggle or exploration of gender identity. At the same time, it’s not something I play super often. Maybe it’s just me, but the lack of clarity and long instrumental section make me lose focus sometimes.

#27. To Be So Lonely

Depending on my mood, this song is a hit or miss for me. The song feels like it should be angrier, but maybe its passive aggressiveness is the point. I guess I can’t quite decide how I feel about this song, which is why it’s placed in this mid-tier range. I will say that I sing “And I’m just an arrogant son of a bitch, who can’t admit when he’s sorry” with passion every single time.

#26. Treat People With Kindness

Black And White Treat People With Kindness GIF by Harry Styles - Find & Share on GIPHY

Just like “To Be So Lonely,” my opinion of this song varies a lot with my mood. Sometimes I’m very obsessed, while others I find it a bit cringey and nonsensical. I love the lyrics and overall message. However, it’s been almost three years and I’m still not sure of the meaning of lyrics like: “if our friends all pass away, It’s okay” and “All we ever want is automatic all the time.” This song is amazing live, though, which adds to its charm. 

#25. Falling 

I was obsessed with this song when it first came out. Now that I’ve spent considerable time with it, my feelings are pretty neutral. I’m definitely a sucker for a piano ballad and the lyricism on this track does get to me, my favorite line being: “What if I’m someone I don’t want around?” While I love rhetorical questions in songwriting, this one kinda hurts my feelings. (“Falling” gets bonus points because I visited the Beachwood Cafe last summer and it was a 10/10 experience.)

#24. Cinema 

Picture a very frustrated 19-year-old almost in tears while repeating the words “you pop” over and over again. That was me trying to learn the ending of this song. If you couldn’t already tell, if repetition does not serve a larger purpose in song lyrics, I probably won’t love it. On the other hand, and I’m aware of my hypocrisy, I hate that certain melodies only come around once. My favorite melody comes from the post-chorus [tell me what you want and you got it, love…]. We hear that part once, and then poof, it’s gone. That being said, I love the overall mood of this groovy track.

#23. Boyfriends

This song needed to grow on me and it definitely has. The ballad, reminiscent of Fleetwood Mac, debuted at Harry’s Coachella performance back in April 2022. The layered harmonies on this song are utterly beautiful. The song is a contrast from the rest of Harry’s House as it shines a light on the harsh realities of a relationship. Style’s sings “You lay with him as you stay in the daydream,” calling back to Daydreaming, another song on the album. This contrast is only a slight downfall as the more upbeat tracks catch my attention a tiny bit more. 

#22. As It Was

As It Was Winter GIF by Harry Styles - Find & Share on GIPHY

“As It Was” shook the world as Harry’s first musical release in over two years. It was an amazing lead single, ushering fans into Harry’s new perspective and sound. I’ve always interpreted this song to be about his parent’s divorce, but the true meaning doesn’t really matter in this case. The ’80s synth inspiration and the lovely vocals make this a great track. 

#21. Kiwi

Harry Edward Styles put some sort of drugs into this song. “Kiwi” evokes a sort of toned-down screamo vibe that I normally wouldn’t go for. However, if I ever saw Harry in concert, this is probably the one song I’d absolutely need to see. “Kiwi” embraces its lack of meaning, allowing listeners to let out any emotion they have been holding back. 

#20. Love of My Life

This track emulates feelings of nostalgia and regret. Maybe it’s just because I watched My Policeman this morning, but in my opinion, those are emotions that make a really good song. I’m also a huge fan of the lyricism and melody on the line “It’s not what I wantеd, to leave you behind, don’t know whеre you’ll land when you fly.” As an album closer, I initially wanted more from this song. Now, I love it like all the rest. 

#19. Daylight

Harry Styles Daylight GIF by With the Band - Find & Share on GIPHY

“Daylight” is cute and sweet while remaining vulnerable and real. The guitar part really completes this song and evokes what is probably the closest thing to headbanging I’ll ever do. The retro vibes accompanied by some of the sweetest sentiments ever make this song worth a listen (or 100 listens for that matter).

#18. Adore You

I originally had this song much lower on my rankings simply because it was a single and I’m a little sick of hearing it. Then I pressed play on the song and immediately changed my mind. The vibes, the bass, the music video, the vocals… I could go on and on about how great this song is. The opening chords and production somehow feel like emerging from underwater. The entire song feels like summer in a way that “Watermelon Sugar” could only dream of.  

#17. Ever Since New York

Here, ladies and gentlemen, is repetition for a cause. The repetition in this song represents a pleading that those who relate to it know all too well. “Ever Since New York” does a fantastic job of placing listeners inside Styles’ mindset at the time. The lyric “Must this hurt you just before you go?” placed a knife in my heart that gets twisted just a little more with every listen. 

#16. Music for a Sushi Restaurant

This song is extremely overstimulating… but in a good way? I have my reaction recorded on video and it genuinely looks like I was having multiple exorcisms at once. While I’m absolutely terrified of the music video, I love this song so much. I never want to be complimented again if it’s not “I could cook an egg on you.”

#15. Only Angel

Singing GIF by iHeartRadio - Find & Share on GIPHY

The whiplash this song gives you on the first listen just can’t be replicated. Its retro British rock sound is sexy and fun. Rock Harry is truly at his peak on this track. There’s something so addicting about the vocals on this song from the annunciation to the ad-lib screams. 

#14. Little Freak

I can confidently say that every single Harry Styles fan was shocked by the sound and contents of “Little Freak.” Most of us expected another “Kiwi” and what we got is a dreamy, nostalgic ballad full of specific and interesting imagery. Despite the rockiness and regrets, Styles continues to think about the song’s subject, a feeling that many can relate to. The chorus’s sweeping and hopeful melody is the cherry on top of this already amazing cake.

#13. Daydreaming

Something about this song is so incredibly nostalgic. It reminds me a lot of the music I’d hear in the car growing up. This is likely because the song samples the 1978 The Brothers Johnson song “Ain’t We Funkin’ Now.” Styles really shows off his experimental side on this track, both in songwriting and vocals. “Daydreaming” is unique in its lack of traditional song structure. Despite this, the good vibes never waver. 

#12. Late Night Talking

Dinner Pasta GIF by Harry Styles - Find & Share on GIPHY

THE. HORNS. I’ve been obsessed with this song since the horrible quality recordings from Coachella. The production on the studio version made me fall even more in love with this ’70s-esque track. Despite my lack of relating to the lovey-dovey aspect, I have indeed broken both a toe and a camera in the last few years, which just proves that Harry Styles speaks to all. 

#11. Golden

In a 2019 interview with Zane Lowe, Styles called this track “the perfect PCH [Pacific Coast Highway] song. It’s like driving down the coast, that is what the song is for. It feels so Malibu to me.” I agree with this statement wholeheartedly. From the upbeat, fun sound, to the heartbreaking lyrics, this song feels like Los Angeles on steroids. In my opinion, it was the perfect track one for Fine Line and an incredible tour opener. 

#10. Matilda

“Matilda” is one of those songs that almost defies rankings. With themes of abuse, growth, and learning to let go of your past, this song is something everyone should hear. Every aspect is heart-wrenchingly beautiful. The entire song is so emotional and poignant, but my favorite lyric is easily: “I don’t believe that time will change your mind. In other words, I know they won’t hurt you anymore as long as you can let them go.” Besides how great the song itself is, I’m also so happy it has helped so many people heal. 

#9. Keep Driving

On the surface level, this song is simply adorable. The deeper meaning that it holds makes it even better. I interpret “Keep Driving” to be about ignoring rational worries and responsibilities in hope of holding onto an unrealistic dream. The sound of this track is bouncy and light, very reminiscent of cruising down a road that is too good to be true. The song builds in a fun way that culminates in some interesting, yet extremely fun-to-sing lyrics.

#8. Grapejuice

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. The nostalgic, yet refreshing energy on this track is something I’m a super big fan of. This song feels like the end of a great night when you’re a little too tired to be making sense — but in the best way. The electric guitar melody is simply iconic and the count-in is very satisfying. 

#7. Carolina

Harry Styles GIF by Saturday Night Live - Find & Share on GIPHY

This song is like a little Easter-egg treasure chest. Every time I listen to it I find something new. The weird little noises, the background vocals, the la-la’s, and the oddly specific details all make “Carolina” a huge favorite of mine. I’m also obsessed with the theory that Harry thought there was just one state called Carolina. That’s probably not true, but I like to think it is. 

#6. Satellite

As a newfound pop girlie, “Satellite” is the grown-up One Direction song of my wildest dreams. How this song manages to sound like floating in space is something I will never understand. The song portrays the anxiety of uncertain and unstable relationships while simultaneously being a total banger. The metaphor of being a satellite, something so large and present while always remaining out of reach, is something I would have never thought of myself. The desperation in Styles’ voice as he conveys these feelings adds a layer to this song that makes it truly fantastic. 

#5. From the Dining Table 

Many songs have tried, but few can do it like Harry Styles’ “From the Dining Table.” There’s a sense of yearning throughout this song that lets listeners inside Styles’ artistic brain. The lyricism is extremely vulnerable and melancholic. What really makes this song top tier is the sound and vocals. The instrumental isn’t over-the-top, which allows Styles’ voice to shine. The song builds and builds until the harmony-filled bridge lets listeners feel the same sadness and longing as Styles. 

#4. Fine Line

My feelings about this cinematic song are so hard to put into words. “Fine Line” features what is undoubtedly some of Styles’ most poetic work to date. From the melancholy guitar to the breathy vocals, the beginning of this song never fails to make me incredibly emotional. For a long time, I discredited this song because I didn’t understand what “We’ll be a fine line” meant. My interpretation is: if the entire rest of the album depicts the intense highs and lows of relationships and mental health, then “Fine Line” is Styles realizing that balance is the only thing that can get him through his day-to-day life. And then there’s the outro instrumental. This section of music is one of my favorite things I have ever heard. I always envision the end of a film in which the protagonist finally feels relief or safety at the end of a long journey. This song makes me sob my eyes out like no other and I can never put my finger on exactly why.

#3. Sunflower Vol. 6

This song is a groovy track that is easily my pick for song of the summer (and every other time of year tbh). From the sweet lyrics to the cute imagery, this song always makes me want to dance. The chorus is something straight out of the ’70s with Queen-esque harmonies. This song takes its somewhat psychedelic origins and really leans into them — and it pays off tremendously. I’ve struggled to decide whether I want to let “Fine Line” take this spot. It came down to the fact that I can only listen to “Fine Line” a few times a year without having a mental breakdown, and “Sunflower Vol. 6” is one of my most listened-to songs of all time.

#2. Sign of the Times

One Direction Singing GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden - Find & Share on GIPHY

The fact that this song didn’t win a Grammy is a crime. Releasing the soft rock power ballad was a risk for the singer, considering his debut single as a solo artist was so different from his previous work. It’s safe to say that Styles knew this and came onto the solo scene with a bang. With themes of grief, hardship, and preparing for the end, “Sign of the Times” is one big emotion-fest. As the song builds, it continues to get even more powerful until the most heavenly piano brings the track to a close. 

#1. Canyon Moon

My favorite Harry Styles song of all time is “Canyon Moon.” All I have to say to make my case is that when Harry played his sophomore album for music icon Stevie Nicks, she picked this track as her favorite. The serotonin that immediately fills my brain when this song begins to play should probably be studied by psychologists. The hippie soft-rock sound makes me want to jump into a Volkswagen and drive for hours and end. Considering I absolutely despise driving, that is a big feat. This song really is joy personified in a three-minute MP3 file. Before Harry’s House came out, I wondered if a new Harry Styles song would come to take the crown. But it seems as though, as of now, “Canyon Moon” reigns supreme. 

Snapping Harry Styles GIF by Recording Academy / GRAMMYs - Find & Share on GIPHY

I hope you enjoyed my very unnecessary ranking and that you’re not too mad at me. I’ll probably be mad at myself the next time I read this, anyway. Until next time, I’ll be sitting here waiting to see where Harry’s name ends up on my Spotify Wrapped. 

Emily is an Associate Editor for Her Campus UConn. She is a junior at the University of Connecticut studying journalism and communication. Emily enjoys writing about pop culture, lifestyle, film, and TV. Emily is a Copy Editor for The Daily Campus and the Social Media Chair for UConn Creative Writing Club. She also co-hosts and edits a pop culture podcast called ‘Girl Talk.’ Passionate about all things creative, Emily is often writing poetry, reading a book, or trying to teach herself a new skill. In her spare time, you can find Emily sipping on a coffee, crafting a new Spotify playlist, or obsessing over her dog.