spaceship earth at epcot in florida
spaceship earth at epcot in florida
Original photo by Haley Cohan
Life > Experiences

Eating Around The World: My Favorite Foods At EPCOT

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

During the summer of 2023, I decided I needed a change of scenery and decided to move to Florida to participate in the Disney College Program. My time at Disney was quite the experience, as I made many close friends and had wonderful experiences over the seven months I lived in the Sunshine State. While I spent most of my program working, as it is a job-based internship, I would argue I spent the other half of it eating. I was paid weekly, and I’d estimate that a quarter of my paycheck immediately went back to The Walt Disney Company as I spent a good portion of it on food from the parks and various resorts on Disney property.

author sitting on stairs
Original photo by Haley Cohan

My main “role,” or job position was working at the Food and Wine Festival in EPCOT. Being that I spent most of my time at EPCOT, whether clocked in for a shift or on a day off, I quickly familiarized myself with the food options offered in each country in the World Showcase portion of the park. If I saw something that seemed remotely enticing, I would immediately pull out my debit card and get in line to order. The length of the line truly did not matter: I had my sights set on something and was determined to try it. With that being said, here are my favorite foods to eat in every country in the World Showcase!

DISCLAIMER: I am specifically talking about the foods offered in the quick service areas in the countries (with a few exceptions), not the food offered by the Food & Wine Festival, Festival of the Holidays, Festival of the Arts, or the Flower and Garden Festival. I am also not a food critic, just someone who enjoys a good bite to eat!

Mexico

Quick SERVICE: LA CANTINA DE SAN ANGEL

• Churros with chocolate sauce – $6.25

The Mexico Pavilion is a great way to start your journey around the world, with welcoming sounds of mariachi music filling the air. Even though I was a paid employee of the Walt Disney Company, and my work ID sometimes allowed for a small discount on food, some of the options were still pricey, which is why we usually stuck to quick services. La Cantina de San Angel was always a great go-to for a quick bite to start the day. Without fail, a Disney churro always hits the spot. The crunch of the cinnamon-sugar coating mixed with the chocolate sauce always put a smile on my face, and because the churros are small in size, they were easily shareable.

Norway

Quick service: kringla bakeri og kafe

lefse from the norway pavilion at epcot in florida
Original photo by Haley Cohan
  • Lefse – $3.49
  • Mickey Cinnamon Roll – $6.49

Before meeting my roommate Maggie, the only things I had ever purchased from Kringla Bakeri were either a bottle of water or a run-of-the-mill cinnamon roll. However, Maggie has Norwegian heritage and was quite excited to show me her culture. She introduced me to one of my new favorite desserts: lefse. Lefse is basically a soft potato flatbread/tortilla-like bread with cinnamon, sugar, and butter rolled in the middle. It’s served cold, but as you hold it, the warmth of your hand starts to melt the butter. It is so simple yet so perfect, and I genuinely cannot get enough of them whenever I visit EPCOT. While the idea of a potato flatbread initially raised some questions, the flatbread itself has a very neutral taste. For a dessert, lefse is not really on the sweeter side, which makes it a perfect midday snack.

China

Quick service: Lotus Blossom Café

• Mongolian Beef Combo – $14.75

I personally think that you can never go wrong with Chinese food. There’s usually an option for everyone, most people are familiar with the options, and there’s nothing too out of the ordinary on the menu. Lotus Blossom Café located in the China Pavilion is a great place for Americanized Chinese food. With recognizable options such as pork egg rolls, orange chicken, and chicken fried rice, Lotus Blossom is a perfect place for a familiar meal. My favorite meal at Lotus Blossom was the Mongolian beef combo, which came with spicy noodles, an egg roll, and a side of vegetables. For $14.75, the amount of beef served was somewhat small, but the three sides definitely made up for the small portion. The beef had a great flavor, the egg roll was crispy, and the noodles had just the right amount of spice that complimented the rest of the meal. The line for Lotus Blossom can be on the longer side, so if you’re dead set on Chinese food, I say go for it! But if you’re not willing to wait 25 minutes for food you can probably get at home, it’s an easy skip.

Germany

Quick Service: kARAMELL-KÜche

• Caramel Butter Bar – $5.29

Karamell-Küche is a store with a small bakery inside located in the Germany Pavilion. The store is sponsored by Werther’s Caramel, so most items sold have caramel in them in one form or another. By far, the best-selling product at Karamell-Küche is the caramel butter bar. Think of a soft sugar cookie/shortbread-like crust with caramel and butter layered in between. Does it sound like it’ll clog your arteries? For sure. Is it worth it? Absolutely. The rich caramel mixed with the creamy butter is heavenly, and the shortbread cookie is sweet enough that it doesn’t overpower the filling but compliments it well. Due to its popularity, Disney offers mobile ordering for the caramel butter bar to cut down the in-person lines, which was usually my plan of action. If you’re going to EPCOT soon, I highly recommend stopping at Karamell-Küche for the caramel butter bar.

Italy

QUICK sERVICE: PIZZA AL TAGLIO

• Pizza Pepperoni – $9

In the back of the Italy Pavilion, you’ll find Via Napoli Ristorante e Pizzeria, the Italian table service option offered in the park. Connected to Via Napoli is Pizza al Taglio, a small Sicilian-style pizza window. With a limited menu and seasonal operation, Pizza al Taglio is delightful if you can get it. If you’re not familiar with Sicilian-style pizza, it’s a thicker, square-cut piece of pizza with a focaccia-like dough. Usually, Sicilian pizza is just sauce with cheese sprinkled on, rather than melted on like a traditional slice. At Pizza al Taglio, the cheese is melted on, so it’s more of a mix of Sicilian and traditional-style pizza. The best slice of pizza available at Pizza al Taglio is the pepperoni: simple, traditional, and truly a classic. It’s a standard piece of pizza, so there’s nothing extremely special about it, but I do recommend trying to see if Pizza al Taglio is running the next time you visit EPCOT.

the American adventure

Quick service: Regal Eagle Smokehouse

• North Carolina Chopped Smoked Pork Butt Platter – $13.49
  • Sliced Texas Beef Brisket Sandwich – $14.29

Muppets. Americana. Barbecue. These three things come together in the form of Regal Eagle Smokehouse, a Muppets-themed barbecue restaurant in the heart of the American Adventure Pavilion. It’s a little quirky, but fans of the Muppets and Americana will appreciate the décor. Food-wise, it’s standard American barbecue that has options for the whole group, including picky eaters. Pork ribs, burgers, brisket, baked beans, and mac and cheese are some items that the menu boasts. As a pulled pork fan, I opted for the pork butt platter and it did not disappoint. The pork was tender, had a great smoky flavor, and was quite juicy. The platter came with a choice of one side (I chose baked beans: excellent!) and a piece of garlic toast, which was great for soaking up the extra barbecue sauce I added to the pork. It’s a great choice for standard American barbecue and gets points for creative theming.

Japan

quick service: Katsura Grill

• Shrimp Tempura Udon – $13.00

Located in the tranquil Japan Pavilion, Katsura Grill is surrounded by well-manicured gardens and peaceful ponds. Katsura Grill is small, so it fills up fast, as it’s a great place to relax after a long day of walking. For a small place to eat, they have a decent-sized menu. My favorite item on the menu is the shrimp tempura udon. The savory broth and chewy udon noodles pair well together, and the crunch of the tempura-battered shrimp adds a great texture to the overall dish. On the whole, it is a little bland because there aren’t many competing flavors, but I find it a great palate cleanser, or a snack that’s not too heavy and won’t make you feel weighed down.

morocco

quick service: TANGiERINE Café: flavors of the medina

• Grilled Kebabs – $6.25

Tangierine is always busy, and for a good reason, too! The food at Tangierine is some of the best quick service options offered throughout the entirety of EPCOT. The highlights of Tangierine are the grilled chicken and lamb kebabs. I usually stuck to the chicken, but I have heard positive things about the lamb as well. The chicken is grilled nicely but is still juicy and flavorful. The chicken on its own is mouth-watering, but the garlic aïoli that’s drizzled on top really ties all the flavors together perfectly. The kebab also comes with a chickpea and carrot salad that adds a nice vinegary kick. Tangierine is a crowd favorite, and I always suggest it to anyone who is looking for food options on the healthier side.

France

quick service: Les halles Boulangerie-Patisserie

• Beignet – $5.95
  • Dinde B.L.T. – $10.55
  • Macarons Collection – $13.50

Les Halles Boulangerie-Patisserie is nestled in the back of the France Pavilion. With France’s recent expansion, Les Halles takes up a significant amount of space, with many delicious foods offered inside. Le Halles is half savory sandwiches, half bakery, all amazing. As soon as you walk in Les Halles you’re hit with the smell of freshly baked baguettes and pastries. Upon initial inspection, the size of the bakery and all its options are overwhelming, but it’s easy to find your footing once you stop and take it all in. Sandwiches, macarons, and other desserts are all displayed in such an enticing way that it can be hard to make a decision! My rotation of items consists of the chocolate-filled beignets, the turkey B.L.T., and the macaron collection, but I primarily stick to the beignet. The pastry can sometimes be a little dry, but the chocolate filling remedies that with its smooth texture and sugary flavor. It does seem to be more of a doughnut than a beignet, but it’s still a sweet treat that’s perfect for a pick-me-up.

United Kingdom

quick service: Yorkshire County fish shop

• Beer-battered Fish and Chips – $13.49

I’ll admit that the idea of eating fried fish in the Florida heat and humidity at first seems crazy. I understand the hesitation of not wanting to eat oily fried seafood in extreme heat. However, I’ve done it a few times now and I’ve never had an issue. The fish and chips sold at the Yorkshire County Fish Shop are always a hit. I’m a big seafood fan, so when I found out there’s a fish and chips stand in the United Kingdom Pavilion, I immediately knew it would become one of my favorite spots to eat. The fish is fried to a perfect golden brown, is always crispy, and rarely has that off-putting fishy taste. The chips are cooked to perfection — not too overcooked but not too soft — and always have the perfect amount of salt. It’s the perfect-sized portion where you won’t feel like you can’t eat anything else in the park but will finish feeling satisfied.

Canada

quick service: refreshment port

• Traditional Poutine – $7.50

Canada doesn’t have a quick service restaurant of its own, but next to the entrance of Canada is Refreshment Port. Refreshment Port is essentially an extension of Canada, as its main food item sold is poutine. Even though I am lactose intolerant, I can’t help but order a serving of these savory fries covered in gravy and cheese curds. The fries are hot and salty, the gravy is rich, and the cheese curds have a mild flavor that nicely balances everything out. I personally enjoy splitting the poutine because it can be a little rich to eat all on my own, but it’s still tasty nonetheless.

Overall, there’s an option for everyone in the World Showcase. Whether you want something salty and savory, or a sweet treat, EPCOT has plenty of choices to pick from.

Haley Cohan

U Conn '26

Haley is a Sophomore at the University of Connecticut studying political science with a minor in women in gender studies. Originally from Berlin , CT, she loves to read and listen to music in her free time. Always willing to discuss Taylor Swift, she always has something to say about the recent pop culture events.