Eat this Instead of That ~ Halloween Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Jaclyn Hlywa

10/9/2013

It is the most wonderful time of the year! Free candy and chocolate everywhere you turn. Who wouldn’t love that?! Well, maybe your waistline might not be too happy about all those empty calories. But have no fear! Read on to find how you can save yourself the damage this Halloween season, while still floating on cloud of chocolate.

Are you really into the whole chocolate bar with something inside idea?

Choose Kit Kat Bars over Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups any day!

Reese’s have more calories, saturated fat and sugars than Kit Kat Bars

OR

Choose 3 Musketeers (fun size bar) over a Butterfinger (fun size bar)

A 3 Musketeers bar will save you half the fat and almost have the calories that a Butterfinger bar has. With that being said you could let yourself have three 3 Musketeers!

Are you an M&Ms fan?

Pick Almond M&Ms over Milk Chocolate M&Ms

1 snack-size bag of Almond M&Ms has much less sugar and has more fiber than the Milk Chocolate M&Ms, which will make you satisfied, not craving more!

Maybe you are the more fruit candy type?

Choose Dum Dum Pops over Airheads!

Three pieces of Airheads is 140 Calories, whereas three Dum Dum Pops are 77 calories

Does dark chocolate call your name?

Choose Hershey’s Special Dark Nuggets over Dove’s Dark Chocolate Miniatures

Three Hershey’s Nuggets costs you 165 calories whereas three Dove Miniatures costs you 210 calories

Are you falling for those ‘Need a Moment?’ Twix commercials?

Stop yourself and choose Tootsie Rolls. Three Twix Minis have 150 calories and 7g fat whereas three Tootsie Rolls have 70 calories and 1.5g fat

Do you like the chewy types of candies?

Pick Now and Laters over Milk Maid Caramels! Four Now and Later candies will cost you 53 calories whereas four Caramels will cost you 160 calories! Scary

Are you really into candy corn?

Well good news… you can have some of that! 11 Pieces Brach’s Candy Corn will only cost you 70 calories.

Sources:

http://www.diabeticlivingonline.com/food-to-eat/nutrition/choose-this-not-that-halloween-candy?page=5

http://eatthis.menshealth.com/…