The Do’s and Don’ts for Dorm Packing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Jaclyn Hlywa

8/1/2013

Well, my fellow Collegiettes, I hope you all had your best summer yet. But it is about that time. Within a few days now everywhere you turn will be the most infamous words: “Back to School”. Whether you are moving into your college dorm for the first time or last time every girl always struggles with the common issue of what to bring. If only dorms had walk-in closets and plenty of room for two or more people. But they do not. A dorm room is the magical place where you learn how to fit and tolerate two or more people into a 12×12 area and then all of your belongings and furniture. So, before you get the rude awakening of walking into your new home and scratching your head as you think: “where is all my stuff going to go?!” focus on what you need and what you can do without, because leaving some things home can go a long way.

DO: Pack for the season (or if you are traveling far- for the semester). There is no way you can fit or will need an entire years worth of clothing styles

DON’T: Pack for the entire year. If your school is fairly close to home you can exchange clothes as the weather changes. Or if your school is far from home use winter break as a way to create a new start. Bring home your Fall semester apparel and return back for the Spring semester with new clothes!

DO: Try to mix and mash things. I have seen girls use water bottles as vases for flowers and corkboards and pins as a place to hold your jewelry. You do not need a separate thing for everything.

DON’T: stick to the same top and bottom outfit. Switch it up and bring clothes that you can alternate with top and bottoms. Don’t be afraid to mix up your style!

DO: Pack light on the shoes. Rain boots and shower sandals become a necessity and depending on how big your campus is- so do sneakers. Storage bins are great for storing shoes and they can slide right under your bed.

DON’T: Pack a suitcase just for shoes. You will not need an assortment of boots and heels. Simplicity is key.

DO: Pack pictures. One of my favorite things to do is decorate a wall full of photos I have of my friends and family. It will freshen up your day if you are ever feeling homesick or just help you if you need to see a familiar face.

DON’T: Go crazy with picture frames, especially if you are living in a single dorm room. Usually the walls are cement so tape or some sort of sticky gum will become your new friend when it comes to putting up posters or pictures.

DO: Talk to your roommate before moving in! Due to limited space there is no need for double of everything. Coordinate who will bring a rug, who will get the fridge and so on.

DON’T: Be so set on matching colors with your roommate. If your favorite color is your roommates polar opposite, don’t sweat it.

DO: Find out if your dorm has wireless and cable. You may need to get an Internet cord for your laptop and could bring a TV!

DON’T: Get the biggest screened TV. You are in college so studying, socializing and being involved is key. Your small-screened TV will perfectly fit on your desk and be just right for down time.

DO: Pack an iron! You can hang your clothes in your closet but a lot of the time clothes can easily get wrinkled.

DON’T: Pack an ironing board. Now a days they may have small ironing boards for dorm rooms which, is great is you are all for that! But for me, putting a towel down and using my bed works just as well and doesn’t take up extra space.