Documentaries To Watch During Women’s History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Viewing excellent documentaries is just one of the many ways to honor Women’s History Month and some of history’s most powerful and proud voices. Listed below are a number of documentaries on a variety of ideas impacting women of all intersecting identities.

Content Warning: These documentaries and their descriptions contain mentions of abortion, sexual assault, racism, homophobia, transphobia, and misogyny.

abortion

The recent reversal of Roe v. Wade by the Supreme Court of the United States has created a newfound curiosity about the “pro-life” movement, illegal abortions, and the impacts on healthcare providers. These are some documentaries that may answer some of the seething questions about abortion.

Reversing Roe

Reversing Roe is a film that addresses the decades-long battle between abortion activists and opposition groups across the United States. This documentary highlights the progression of the pro-choice and pro-life movements and how these groups influence the politics of abortion. Although this was released prior to the overturning of Roe v. Wade, this documentary exhibits the conditions that allowed it to happen.

The Janes

The Janes is a documentary about a group of ordinary women that provide abortions for those who need them prior to Roe v. Wade. These women had created an underground clinic for women that were seeking safe, cheap abortions and utilized code names, fronts, and safe houses to protect themselves and their operations. They called themselves, “Jane.”

Women in Athletics

Women of troy

This film looks at how the Trojans, led by Cheryl Miller, changed women’s basketball forever with their fast-paced practices and advanced athleticism proceeding to win consecutive national championships, ultimately influencing the creation of the WNBA. It tells the story of the legendary and transcendent USC women’s basketball team of the 1980s.

Lorena, Light-Footed Woman

Lorena, Light-Footed Woman tells the story of Lorena Ramírez from the Rarámuri village of Mexico. Ramírez lives a rural life in Mexico, but dons her sandals while winning ultramarathons. This documentary brings to light an extraordinary woman with exceptional athletic capabilities.

This film is in Spanish, but English subtitles are available.
The Witches of the orient

The Witches of Orient follows the former Japanese women’s volleyball team members. They were referred to as the “Witches of the Orient” after people witnessed their otherworldly abilities on the courts. Now women in their 70s, this team shares their memories and the real magic from the founding of the squad in the late 1950s as a workers’ team at a textile plant, and ending with their victory at the 1964 Olympic Games in Tokyo.

Black women

Dark Girls

Dark Girls is a documentary about the colorism and racism that many dark-skinned women face within the Black community. Featuring interviews with notable Black American women like Viola Davis, this film gathers insight on personal experiences with colorism and its impacts on the beauty industry, self-image, relationships, and media.

Free angela & all political prisoners

Free Angela & All Political Prisoners is a film about Angela Davis, a civil rights activist, scholar, revolutionary, and feminist. In 1970, she was on the FBI’s Most Wanted list for suspected involvement in a hostage situation turned shootout. She was acquitted and maintained her innocence. The activism of Angela Davis made her a political target, and this documentary outlines her navigation through the justice system, political repression, and retaining her values.

Iron ladies of liberia

After a decade of conflict and governmental corruption, Libera elected Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf to be their President. As the first elected female head of state in Africa, Sirleaf faced the daunting challenge of recovering her country from the challenges they faced. This documentary covers Sirleaf and her team’s first year in office and exemplifies female leadership and statesmanship.

Women & Sexual violence

The Hunting Ground

The Hunting Ground is a documentary that addresses sexual assault at universities across the United States and the failures of college administrations to appropriately address it. Through interviews, data, and research, this documentary provides harrowing insight into how sexual violence impacts women on college campuses.

I am evidence

I Am Evidence follows the story of four survivors as they flow through the criminal court system and discover that the system has not adequately served them. These survivors’ rape kits were stored for years without ever being examined. This documentary emphasizes that these are not isolated cases. In a number of cities across the United States, evidence collected after an attack remains on a shelf, untested and ignored. In recognition of this, this film documents the stories of women seeking justice and healing, but are limited because of a lack of accountability.

Native Women

Bring Her home

In Bring Her Home, three Indigenous women share their experiences fighting to defend and honor their relatives that have been kidnapped and murdered in an epidemic of missing Indigenous women. Following the stories of an artist, an activist, and a politician, this documentary conveys how they navigate the racist and colonial structures that have created this problem, while trying to heal the impacts of historical trauma.

Murder in big horn

Murder In Big Horn is a vivid portrayal of tribe members and their community in Big Horn County, Montana that are facing an epidemic of missing and murdered Indigenous women. Through interviews with Native families, law enforcement, and Native journalists, this documentary investigates the events surrounding these cases.

LGBTQ+ Women

The death and life of marsha p. Johnson

Marsha P. Johnson was a transgender revolutionary in the gay liberation movement and the transgender rights movement in New York City beginning in the 1960s. This film chronicles the story of Marsha P. Johnson, as well as other prominent activists who worked alongside her. The documentary also acknowledges the suspicious circumstances of her death and investigates further.

A Secret Love

A Secret Love is a documentary about former All-American Girls Professional Baseball player, Terry Donahue, and Pat Henschel. These two women kept their lesbian relationship a secret for nearly seven decades, meanwhile running an interior decorating business. Terry and Pat explain their love and its secrecy, and how coming out at an older age was an obstacle for them.

Dykes, Camera, Action!

Lacking in lesbian representation on screen, this documentary follows the historical (in)visibility of lesbians and queer women in media. Through the personal anecdotes of queer filmmakers, this film offers funny, moving, and influential testimonials about the queer identity.

Latinx Women

Dolores

Dolores is a documentary explaining the story of Dolores Huerta, an American activist fighting alongside Cesar Chavez for the rights of farm workers. Though her contributions largely go ignored, she was a co-founder in creating the first union for farm workers. This film presents her feminism, involvement in the worker’s movement, and the personal risks she faced during her career in activism.

Beauties of the night

This documentary tells the story of the Mexican burlesque culture during the 1970s and 1980s. Portraying a vivid profile of the five iconic showgirls, this film discusses their journey through performing, aging, and acquiring fame throughout their lives.

Asian & pacific islander women

Standing above the clouds

Standing Above the Clouds is a documentary about Native Hawaiian mother and daughter activists. After proposals to build one of the world’s largest telescopes on the sacred mountain of Mauna Kea, these women, alongside other Native Hawaiian families, have made it their life’s mission to honor and defend this land. This film documents intergenerational activism and intricacies of ancient tradition and the importance of sacral lands.

Slaying the dragon: reloaded

This film is a sequel to the 1988 documentary titled, Slaying the Dragon. In this updated version, the film conveys the historical and contemporary representation of Asian and Asian American women in American media. Exploring the roles of representation, this documentary depicts the changes in portrayals, and what remains.

invisible seams

Invisible Seams documents the lives of eight Asian seamstresses in New York City. This film portrays their backgrounds and their involvement in the New York fashion industry. Celebrating the achievements of Asian women, this documentary covers the influence of these women in fashion and pattern-making.

These documentaries are not an exhaustive list, but they offer a brief leap into the experiences of women of all intersectionalities. When you watch these documentaries, I want you to actively participate in the learning experience and find where you can relate, connect, or validate those lived experiences. There is always an abundance of information to learn about women, and there is no better time to start than Women’s History Month.

Emma Tapia

U Conn '24

Emma Tapia is a senior majoring in Political Science and Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies. She is a Her Campus contributor, and President of the The Connecticut Compromise; a University of Connecticut satire publication. She publishes a number of articles pertinent to health, wellness, film, and music. She is often found reading, journaling, curating spotify playlists, and chatting it up.