A Definitive Ranking of Girl Scout Cookies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

It’s finally that time of the year again.  This is the time of year when grade school girls take down an entire nation with just one simple question: “Wanna buy some cookies?”.  After filling out all the order forms and weeks of waiting, the time has come.  Our Girl Scout cookie orders have finally arrived. *Cue choir of angelic singing and harp music.*

Today, March 12th, is National Girl Scout day.  This year it marks the 103rd anniversary for the organization.  In honor of Juliette Gordon Low, the woman who founded the organization that brought us the nation’s most coveted cookies, here is a ranking of the 2015 Girl Scout cookie flavors**. 

12. Trios

If you eat gluten-free food then you’re in luck.  Otherwise, I’m sorry but this is just a plain no.  This cookie is something that the neighbors who hand out fruit on Halloween would have in their kitchen pantry.

11. Cranberry Citrus Crisps

Cranberry Citrus Crisp.  Crisp.  Not cookie.  When I think “cookie”, fruit and whole-grain are not the first things that come to mind.  I appreciate the healthy attempt, but next time maybe rethink the whole cranberry thing. 

10. Toffee-tastic

Toffee= good.  Cookie= good.  Toffee cookie that is gluten free?  Not very good.  

9. Rah-Rah Raisins

Again with the fruit thing.  However, this oatmeal raisin cookie has a twist with it’s Greek yogurt-flavored chunks.  I don’t know how I feel about the phrase “yogurt-flavored chunks” but it sure beats gluten-free.  

8. Savannah Smiles

Lemon cookie dusted with powedered sugar.  Add this to the never ending list of fruity cookies made by the Girl Scouts.  This is the cookie equivalent of jelly donuts; you either love it or you hate it.  

7. Thanks-a-lot

Finally a cookie with chocolate.  Even though they messed with a classic shortbread recipe, for the love of all that is confectionary, at least they added fudge and not cranberries or lemon.

6. Trefoils

While Trefoils aren’t the most adventerous cookies flavor-wise, these grandma’s-favorite-melt-in-your-mouth cookies are sugary perfection.  They’re ideal for when you want something light for dessert.  A+ for these seriously underrated shortbread cookies.

5. Do-si-dos

Not gonna lie, these were my favorite when I was a little kid.  Creamy peanut butter smushed between two crunchy oatmeal cookies, what else could anyone want?  Unfortunately, they fall short to the other PB cookie, Tagalongs, since there’s no chocolate. But who can honestly hate on a peanut butter cookie?

4. Lemonades

Fruit yet again, but these lemon cookies have icing so we’ll let them off the hook.  Icing and lemon trumps powedered sugar and lemon.

3. Tagalongs

A cookie topped with peanut butter, coated in a layer of smooth milk chocolate.  Need I say more? (x)

2. Thin Mints

Crispy mint cookie dipped in a layer of creamy chocolate.  These have been a fan favorite for years and have an impressive support group.  Try telling a Thin Mint fan that Tagalongs are the best; go ahead, just try.  You’ll probably be berated by an angry mob of Thin Mint lovers that appear out of no where as soon as you try and diss this cult classic.  (Tip: try putting these bad boys in the freezer and eating them cold.  Incredible.)  

1. Samoas 

There’s something about Samoas that make people go coco-nuts.  I know, I’m sorry, I had to.  Anyways, Samoas and Thin Mints are neck and neck every year to be the top flavor of Girl Scout cookies.  This year Samoas won out (as they rightfully should).  All hail Samoas.

While Girl Scout cookies are often immitated, they can never be duplicated.  Take the time to enjoy your precious boxes of Girl Scout cookies before they’re all gone and another year stands between you and true happiness.  

Happy National Girl Scout day!

**Rankings reported by the Girl Scout Organization in an online 2015 poll.

Nikki is the Campus Correspondent & Editor in Chief for Her Campus UConn.  She is a senior majoring in Communication with a minor in HDFS.  Nikki wishes she was Beyoncé, worships Adele, eats more pasta than is probably recommended, and is a Ravenclaw at heart.   If you have any questions or concerns regarding Her Campus UConn, you can email her at nicoleharris@hercampus.com.