HuskyTHON donations received 2023
HuskyTHON donations received 2023
Original photo by Bailey Brake
Life > Experiences

Dancing The Night Away: What You Need To Know About HuskyTHON 2024

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

If you have been on campus the last few weeks, chances are you have noticed the craze of HuskyTHON. Between bake sales, raffles, or people getting “pied” on Fairfield Way, thousands of students are rallying together for last-minute fundraising efforts for Connecticut Children’s Hospital. As “night of” is quickly approaching on March 2, here are some important things to know about HuskyTHON.

What is huskython

HuskyTHON is the UConn branch of the “Miracle Network Dance Marathon.” Through this organization, 400 campuses and thousands of students fundraise and participate in a dance marathon that benefits children’s hospitals across the United States. HuskyTHON is a year-long fundraiser that concludes with an 18-hour dance marathon. It has been a part of UConn culture for 25 years and UConn has been able to raise $11 million in that time. From 6 a.m. to midnight, students gather in the Hugh S. Greer Field House to celebrate their efforts and continue supporting children who face unimaginable adversity every day. Patients, or “miracle kids” from the hospitals come with their families to enjoy food, games, activities, etc. with the participants. It is a feel-good night for everyone involved filled with immense emotions and pride as we as a campus are able to hear first-hand stories of how our efforts help these families.

Fundraising tips

In 2023, HuskyTHON was able to raise $1.4 million for Connecticut Children’s Hospital. This came from all sorts of donations from all different means of fundraising. Students commonly post on their social media to get small donations from friends and families as well as reach out to everyone and anyone in their lives from extended family members to former teachers and coaches and even ex-significant others (Yes, I have seen this happen…). Others decided to take the approach of creating incentives. “If you donate $_____, I will do _____.” These “dares” range from running miles to wearing a ballgown to class to posting a song that reminds them of the donator, or cracking eggs on one’s head. Personally, I had to crack a dozen eggs on my sister’s head as she found out that was a very successful way to get donations. People go canning, donate old clothes, and even collect water bottles. Last semester, I collected plastic water bottles to then exchange for money to put in my Donor Drive. The options are endless for ways to fundraise for HuskyTHON. Get creative!

HuskyTHON donations received 2023
Original photo by Bailey Brake

Who is involved

Organizations, clubs, sororities, and frats across the UConn campuses formulate teams that collectively try and raise a certain amount of money. As a part of the Her Campus HuskyTHON team, it is so exciting to see that we have raised well over our goal of $4,000 and the donations are still coming in! HuskyTHON is led by the Morale Team who do just what their name alludes to. They keep the morale and vibes high throughout the 18 hours, leading activities and a dance that occurs every hour. They are also incredible fundraisers. Despite the many teams that join together for HuskyThon, people also participate individually. It is truly incredible to see everyone come together whether they are on a team or doing it solo. This year marks the most participants that HuskyTHON has seen yet. It is amazing to know that the momentum of HuskyTHON is continuing every year.

Shameless plug for the Her Campus HuskyTHON donation link!

Night of

18 hours in one place, standing up, with no sleep or breaks may sound intimidating. However, the environment of HuskyTHON is truly incredible and before you know it, midnight hits. There are different events planned like Zumba, yoga, yard games as well as food stands to keep everyone energized throughout the time. Children and families from Connecticut Children’s share personal stories and accolades and we are able to see first-hand where our money goes. It is heartwarming to see how important this day is to the kids. It is a break from the appointments and hospital visits where they can just enjoy being a kid. The kids are able to interact with college students all day. At midnight, the night concludes with the long-anticipated reveal of the total amount raised for the year. Will 2024 be the most successful HuskyTHON yet?

HuskyTHON is something I would recommend to every Husky. It truly is such a fulfilling experience for participants but it ultimately is all for the kids. Every child deserves the care and treatment they need. They also deserve to be able to just be a kid and HuskyTHON goes to great lengths to ensure that that is possible. So if you are considering it, this is your sign to participate in HuskyTHON 2025!

Sophie McAvay is a member of the U Conn Her Campus chapter. She is a junior majoring in Human Development and Family Sciences. In her free time she loves to read, run, listen to music, and hang out with friends and family.