FOMO headline picture
FOMO headline picture
Made on canva

Crushing FOMO: Embrace Your Own Vibe & Welcome JOMO!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Say hello to one of the top fears that college students have: The Fear Of Missing Out. Let’s get straight to it.

The FOMO Conundrum: YOLO or Uh-Oh?

Ever felt the pressure to join your friends to go out to a party even when all you wanted was a quiet night in? I know the struggle, but let’s dissect this FOMO frenzy. Is it an excuse to yell YOLO and regret it later? Let’s be real here, most of the things we use YOLO for, are things that wouldn’t pass the sanity check. Not every impulsive decision we make is a masterpiece in sound judgment. This Saturday dilemma is all too familiar. The choice between a chill night in your dorm room and a potential legendary party — it’s a college rite of passage. But hold up, is it worth risking physical and mental health or worse for a night of wild dancing?  Let’s find that balance! 

The Yes-No Paradox: Finding the intersection

Every “yes” to something is a “no” to another. It is imperative we accept this simple truth. Karaoke with friends at the Student Union or a very-needed power nap? The struggle is real. Saying no is hard, especially in college. Fear not. Establish those personal and interpersonal boundaries, spend some time journaling or reading, do a face mask, re-watch your favorite movie or show, and drink plenty of water. Who says you can’t have it all? You’re not missing out because you have different priorities. Each of us has different priorities at different moments of our lives so respect that for yourself. And just because everyone is doing something doesn’t mean it’s right; especially right for you.

Friday Night In: Breaking News, It’s perfectly okay!

“You’re telling me to have a chill night in while people I know are having ‘the best night of their lives’?” Guess what, being solo on a weekend night is not a crime. Embrace it! The fear of being alone shouldn’t define your Friday night. Kick back, relax, and revel in the joy of your own company. You’re the boss of your vibe! The best night of your life may not be the night you spend practicing self-care but it’s a much-needed break. Let go of that silly fear. Fear sucks and scares. 

The ‘FOMO’ Disease: Opportunity Cost Reality Check

FOMO is a disease, and there’s always going to be something else you could’ve done — welcome to the world of opportunity cost. As a fellow business student, I will happily introduce you all to the wonderful economic concept of opportunity cost. It simply is the value of the next best alternative foregone. Be content with what you have. This reminds me of the phrase ‘the grass is always greener on the other side.’ But as my best friend told me once, the grass is greener where you water it. I won’t lie, finding your balance and groove can be difficult. But trust your moves. If it’s meant to happen, it will. If it should have happened, it would have.

Social Media’s FOMO Fuel: Don’t Fall for the Illusion

Scrolling through Instagram during FOMO moments? Beware! Your floormate’s ski trip or Tuesday night party might look glamorous, but remember, their life is theirs, and yours is uniquely yours. Just because some pictures online show that they had fun doesn’t always imply they actually did. Don’t let the curated snapshots fool you — online pictures capture just a single moment in a larger story or event. I could share a picture of myself smiling and having a blast at a party, but the next moment, someone might have spilled a drink on my favorite pair of jeans. That definitely would suck and wouldn’t be going on my Instagram. It’s important to remember that social media can be fleeting. Getting stuck in the web of comparison is a danger you should beware of.

When you’re caught up in finding things you’re missing out on, you miss out on the most important thing — the present. You miss out on life as it is for you at that moment. Appreciate the small things and trust yourself enough to understand that your life is yours and you alone get to steer it in the direction you want. Don’t try to fit into a box. You’re amazing just the way you are — let yourself fly. Say goodbye to FOMO and hello to JOMO: the Joy Of Missing Out on the unnecessary! 

Embrace your vibe, set your boundaries, and dance to your own rhythm. The sky is your limit, darling!

Suhitha Sreedhar is a student at the University of Connecticut majoring in Business Management. She is all about the corporate world but when in her cozy nook, she likes to dream and write about things she loves. She loves fashion, makeup, books, taking buzzfeed quizzes, thinking about philosophical questions that may or may not result in an existential crisis, her plants and so on. Most of all, she loves love and this beautiful world that inspires her to write.