This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

There is no doubt that Halloween weekend, or “Halloweekend”, is an epic and memorable weekend on all college campuses. However, with the current pandemic, Halloween is definitely going to be different this year. The University has been doing a pretty good job containing the number of on-campus cases, and the Dean of Students recently encouraged safe celebrations for students as we approach the big holiday. That being said, here are some fun yet safe ways to get your Spooky Szn on!

1. Carve Pumpkins

Enjoy the immaculate ~fall vibes~ while walking through a pumpkin patch and get some pumpkins to carve! If you dislike the mess of carving, painting the pumpkins is also a fun way to get crafty. This is an outdoor activity, which makes it even more COVID safe. 

2. Costumes + Pictures

Even though you won’t be seeing many people in person, there is no shame in going all out with your Halloween costume. This is especially fun if you and your close friends (particularly roommates, or people in your small circle) all dress up and of course, have a mini photoshoot from home. Pro tip: go for costumes that are simple and budget-friendly – splurge on accessories, use clothes that you already own! 

3. Halloween Movie Marathon

Halloween is known for its wide variety of movies, anywhere from scary thrillers to childhood classics. A movie marathon is definitely one of the safest and most comfortable ways to get in the Halloween spirit. Who doesn’t love lounging in their sweats, curled up in a blanket, snacking away? 

4. Decorate Your Living Space

Whether you are living in an on-campus dorm or an apartment, stores such as Walmart, Target, CVS, and the dollar store are stacked with festive decorations. Personally, I bought some window stickies, pumpkins, and a Halloween banner; and it definitely has spiced up the living room. These small details are festive mood boosters and also look great in pictures. 

5. Baking Day

If you have roommates, this is a super fun group activity. Food Network, Pinterest, Instagram, and many other platforms have many Halloween-themed sweet treats. A personal favorite from my childhood is called Graveyard Cake. Of course, you could always skip the baking, and devour a bag of Halloween candy instead, no judgment. 

6. Haunted House

Another outdoor activity, this is a good option for a group of friends who enjoy being spooked. The Trail of Terror in Wallingford, Nightmare Acres in South Windsor, and Dark Manor in Baltic are local to the Storrs area, just to name a few. 

No matter what you end up doing, there are some rules of thumb to follow in order to ensure safety. Practice social distancing, wear a mask, keep your social groups small, and wash/sanitize hands often. Testing is free on campus and very accessible on weekdays, so it never hurts to get tested before seeing people. Overall, Halloween will be different this year, but it doesn’t mean it has to be any less fun.

Caroline is a Senior at UConn majoring in Communications with a minor in Human Development & Family Studies. She is interested in working with social media management, Marketing and Public Relations. In her free time you could find her binge-watching her favorite shows, spending time with friends, and making Spotify playlists.