This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Meet Chris, winner of the half-court shot contest at a UConn basketball game and this week’s Campus Celebrity! 

Name: Chris Jarvi
Major: Real Estate & Urban Economics
Graduation Year: May 2013
Hometown: Trumbull, CT

How were you selected to be the half-court contestant?
I have always wanted to do this contest. So, when I saw the man from the UConn Marketing Department walk through the stands before the game, I made it a point to wave him down. There was no way he could say no to me.

How did you feel once you realized you had made the shot?
At first, I couldn’t even believe what had just happened. It was easily the biggest adrenaline rush of my life. I couldn’t believe I had even made the free throw or three-pointer. As soon as it went in, I instantly went right to my signature fist pump celebration. 

Have you thought about how you are going to spend the $1000 prize?
I don’t really have any set allotment for where I am going to spend the money. The only idea I have, as of now, is to make a couple small charitable donations with some of the money. I don’t think we realize just how lucky we are to be UConn students, nevertheless lucky enough to have a chance to win money at a Division 1 basketball game.

What would be your dream job? Possibly a future career in basketball?
I have definitely thought about going pro in basketball, but I don’t really know if my body could handle all of those miles on the road, moving from place to place. Ultimately, I would like to open up my own business.

So we know you are definitely a huge basketball fan, but what else are you involved with at UConn?
I am also a brother of Zeta Beta Tau (ZBT). Additionally, I am helping to organize an alternative break through Community Outreach. We are going to Atlanta over spring break.

Caitlin is a Communication major with minors in Sociology and Women's Studies at the University of Connecticut. She has always loved to write, but she caught the advertising bug at UConn and now dreams of creating ads that people will always remember. When she's not studying mass media or reading advertising blogs, Caitlin loves making collages, riding horses, and surprising people!