5 Tips For Choosing A College, And Why I Picked UConn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Ready or not, college admissions season is upon us. As a current freshman, it’s hard to imagine that just one year ago, I was in the midst of making a really significant decision. Having recently gone through the process myself, I have some advice for anyone feeling stuck — and why I chose UConn.

1. Take another tour

You have probably taken plenty of college tours by now, but consider taking another one at each of the schools you’re seriously considering. Before you get there, think of questions that are specific to the student experience at the school. Some ideas include: What is there to do on weekends? Is it easy to get around? Are there restaurants and/or stores nearby? Also on this tour, take a look at the places you’ll be spending a lot of time. What does the gym look like? How big are the dorms? When you’re first starting the college process, these might not jump out, but they will impact your everyday life, so consider them. Also, take a look to see if your prospective school offers a shadowing program. UConn offers one, which I happen to be a volunteer for, and from my (slightly biased) perspective, they can be really helpful.

2. Look at the Classes they offer

I naively didn’t realize this was an option, but UConn and plenty of other schools’ class descriptions are easily accessible with a simple Google Search. You can also look up all of the general education requirements if that applies to your prospective schools — that way you can get a sense of what classes you might be taking during your first year.

3. Ask Current Students

If you know anyone who is a current student at a school you’re looking at, see if they’re willing to talk with you about their experience. You can send them a text or meet up for lunch, and from my experience, most people, myself and my friends included, are happy to answer any questions you might have. This was really helpful to me, as I was able to get a better look into what being a student is actually like.

4. Preview Clubs and Organizations

Most schools will list the different clubs and organizations they offer on their website. UConn has more than 700, so there is no shortage of options. The number of clubs will depend on the size of the school, so keep that in mind if you’re looking for variety. UConn’s Involvement Fair happens at the beginning of each semester and showcases all of the different ways to get involved on campus. This is not only a great way to make friends, but it also helps to break the cycle of class, eat, dorm, sleep, which can be easy to fall into at times. By previewing your options, it is easy to see where you might fit. Also, don’t be afraid to try something new! The worst-case scenario is that you decide it isn’t for you, but you could find a new passion in the process.

5. Look Into Support Systems

College is a really significant change. You’re in a new place, with new people, and a sense of freedom that’s also new to most. As great as it is, there might be times when you could use a little bit of extra help. This is where support systems come in, whether for mental health or academics, take a look into how your prospective schools assist students needing a hand. Some of UConn’s resources include SHaW mental health services, the Academic Achievement Center, as well as the W and Q Centers in the library.

How I made My Decision

While I wish that I had done all of these things, I’m positive that I still would have ended up at UConn. Academic-wise, I chose this school mainly for its education program, one of the best in the country. As an aspiring secondary English teacher, I was drawn to the IB/M format and the plentiful classroom experience. I also liked the distance from home, which was a little over an hour for me. The main selling point for me, though, was witnessing the immense sense of community that could be built, despite the large size of the school. I saw this in everyone I knew who also went to UConn, and I was so happy to see that they were all right. If UConn is anywhere on your list, consider moving it closer to the top. It’s a decision that I’m so glad I made.

Bella is a sophomore at the University of Connecticut double-majoring in English and Secondary English Education. She is a Public Relations and Events Chair for Her Campus UConn, where she spends time planning events to foster a strong sense of community among the chapter. Bella enjoys writing articles about books she reads, and providing advice for incoming students. In her spare time, you’ll find Bella browsing a bookstore with a coffee in-hand, baking her latest favorite recipe, embroidering some flowers, or listening to her current Spotify playlist on repeat.